[comp.unix.admin] 6157 tape drive on AT machine

osvaldo@sos.com (Osvaldo Gold) (03/08/91)

Does anybody know what is required to get the IBM tape drive 6157
to work on an AT machine?

This is the deal:  I have in front of me an IBM tape drive 6157-002
and its controller for an AT type machine.  I'm running SCO ODT 1.1
on a 386 AT.  When I connect the controller to the machine and run
IBM diagnostics (without connecting the tape drive), everything is
great.  I connect the tape drive and reboot the machine under UNIX
and nothing happens: my system doesn't see it.  I take the driver out
of the kernel and reinstall it, and when the driver is being configured,
the system tells me something like: "a SCSI tape drive has been
detected..."

The card doesn't have a single switch or jumper on it.

What's going on???  If I get it to work I get to keep the drive.
Please please please ...

---
Osvaldo Gold             Secure Online Systems, Los Angeles, California
osvaldo@sos.com           Are disclaimers necessary???  I disclaim!

wul@sco.COM (Wu Liu) (03/13/91)

The kernel-level driver for the 6157 controller isn't present in the
GT (AT style 386/486) version of Open Desktop 1.1, only in the MC
version.

/--osvaldo@sos.com (Osvaldo Gold) said...
| Does anybody know what is required to get the IBM tape drive 6157
| to work on an AT machine?
|
| This is the deal:  I have in front of me an IBM tape drive 6157-002
| and its controller for an AT type machine.  I'm running SCO ODT 1.1
| on a 386 AT.  When I connect the controller to the machine and run
| IBM diagnostics (without connecting the tape drive), everything is
| great.  I connect the tape drive and reboot the machine under UNIX
| and nothing happens: my system doesn't see it.  I take the driver out
| of the kernel and reinstall it, and when the driver is being configured,
| the system tells me something like: "a SCSI tape drive has been
| detected..."
|
| The card doesn't have a single switch or jumper on it.
|
| What's going on???  If I get it to work I get to keep the drive.
| Please please please ...
\--

paulz@sco.COM (W. Paul Zola) (03/14/91)

In article <170@sos.com> osvaldo@sos.com (Osvaldo Gold) writes:
}Does anybody know what is required to get the IBM tape drive 6157
}to work on an AT machine?
[deleted]
}---
}Osvaldo Gold             Secure Online Systems, Los Angeles, California
}osvaldo@sos.com           Are disclaimers necessary???  I disclaim!

This won't work.  The 6157 tape drive must be attached to a 6157 bus
card.  This card will only fit in a Micro Channel machine.  If you
attempt to attach this drive to any other bus card, it will not work
properly.  The 6157 tape drive and bus card work fine in SCO UNIX and
SCO Xenix for Micro Channel architecture machines.

Guess you're going to have to give it back.

-
Paul Zola			Software Support Engineer
				paulz@sco.COM
Gotta tend the earth if you want a rose.  - Emily Saliers
    DISCLAIMER: I speak for myself, and not for SCO.

[...]

Followups directed to comp.unix.sysv386.

karish@mindcraft.com (Chuck Karish) (03/15/91)

In article <15365@scorn.sco.COM> paulz@sco.COM
(W. Paul Zola) writes:
>In article <170@sos.com> osvaldo@sos.com (Osvaldo Gold) writes:
>}Does anybody know what is required to get the IBM tape drive 6157
>}to work on an AT machine?
>
>This won't work.  The 6157 tape drive must be attached to a 6157 bus
>card.  This card will only fit in a Micro Channel machine.  If you
>attempt to attach this drive to any other bus card, it will not work
>properly.

Our 6157s work OK on our RTs, which are AT-bus machines.

>The 6157 tape drive and bus card work fine in SCO UNIX and
>SCO Xenix for Micro Channel architecture machines.

Is the host protocol different between the Micro Channel 6157
bus card and the AT bus 6157 bus card?  If not, the driver
differences should be minimal.

	Chuck Karish		karish@mindcraft.com
	Mindcraft, Inc.		(415) 323-9000