[comp.unix.admin] Root Directory Mis-Permissioned

yeidel@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu (Joshua Yeidel) (03/05/91)

It has happened twice now that users have been unable to login to my DS5000
running Ultrix 4.1.  When I log in as root and try to "su" to a user, I get the
message "No shell."  Checking around, I find that the root directory has
permissions "rw-rw-rw-"!  I change to "rwxr-xr-x" and everything returns to
normal.

Any idea how root is becoming mis-permissioned?
-- Joshua Yeidel

pwendt@neon.in-berlin.de (Patrick Wendt) (03/16/91)

yeidel@wsuvm1.csc.wsu.edu (Joshua Yeidel) writes:

>It has happened twice now that users have been unable to login to my DS5000
>running Ultrix 4.1.  When I log in as root and try to "su" to a user, I get the
>message "No shell."  Checking around, I find that the root directory has
>permissions "rw-rw-rw-"!  I change to "rwxr-xr-x" and everything returns to
>normal.

Maybe you'd executed something like 'chmod 666 .*', which causes the
. and .. entries to change, too. Another possibility, this 'stupid'
thing is done by any program and/or shell-script. Check it out ...

  Greetings .. Pat !

- Domain: root@chamber.UUCP; root%chamber@neon.in-berlin.de ; Patrick Wendt -
- Berlin (West), Germany ; QNX-OS / MINIX V1.5 / Interactive UNIX / MS-Dose -