[comp.unix.admin] NFS problem/question AND how to crash unix

sfreed@ariel.unm.edu (Steven Freed CIRT) (03/16/91)

In article <1991Mar15.172644.29297@convex.com>, tchrist@convex.COM (Tom Christiansen) writes:
> or do a localhost: loopback
> mount on the enclosing partition into a tmp mount point in
> order to inspect it.

I don't know about a Convex, but be carefull doing this on Ultrix. We
tried this under Ulrix 3.1 on a production machine. We knew there were
files under the mounted /tmp partition that were filling up the root
partition. We didn't want to take down the machine to fix this so we
exported the root partion and mounted it on /mnt. This seemed to work
for a little while untill we deleted the files.

I'm not sure of the exact order of things after that, but the kernel
seemed to become very confused, and then ultimately crashed or hung.

--

Steve.                    sfreed@ariel.unm.edu