[comp.unix.admin] Usefulness of IRC

dl2p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Douglas Allen Luce) (03/18/91)

One note I'd like to make:

IRC has been invaluable to me for finding spot information in a timely
manner.  Questions of mine that have been answered this month include
"Where can I find GNU AWK for the PC" and "Why does my RT's version of
inetd screw up when I send it a HUP, but not when I reboot?"  There
has also been individuals on who can give me a bigger picture of
network problems, like "why can't I get to llnl.gov today?"

I've been studying these real-time conversation systems on an informal
basis for several years, and I would bet that if taxpayers were to get
a wind of what goes on, they would be all for it.  Perhaps they would
even pay more so they could get a piece of the action (Minitel comes
to mind when estimating this reaction).

Douglas Luce
Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon

t891368@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Mark) (03/20/91)

dl2p+@andrew.cmu.edu (Douglas Allen Luce) writes:

>One note I'd like to make:

>IRC has been invaluable to me for finding spot information in a timely
>manner.  Questions of mine that have been answered this month include
>to mind when estimating this reaction).

>Douglas Luce
>Chemical Engineering
>Carnegie Mellon

I also have being using IRC for a long time and the benefits and "side
effects" of it have been quite large. Learning about networks and
a working knowledge of C are just a few. The more emotive benefits are
the people who I have met and continue to talk to.

Taking a step back one can see IRC as a mini world with its own highs
and lows. Im intrigued by the reactions and actions of people in general
and IRC brings those to the front. Any move to restrict the use of IRC
simply because of the way a few individuals use(d) it would show great
short sightedness IMHO.

I know a lot of people in here just dont have the time to explore
things like IRC. Can we move the discussion to alt.irc and spare
the admin's here another flame war?

Mark

Mark Matthewson                     Long distance runners can keep going longer
t891368@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au             Is your job secure?
mark@gnu.ai.mit.edu                      Do you have the code to prove it?
P.O. Box 487 Essendon Australia 3040     Phone: Yes      IrcNick: Mark