[comp.unix.admin] cron.allow, cron.deny: what's the big deal?

Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM (03/24/91)

So what's the big security increase gained by having to ask root to
let you use crontab?  The only cron related problem I can see is
forgetting to remove a user's crontab and at(1) jobs when her/his
account is deleted, e.g., at the end of the semester.  Am I just dim?
--
Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM  Naperville IL USA  +1 708 979 6364

diamond@jit345.swstokyo.dec.com (Norman Diamond) (03/25/91)

In article <DANJ1.91Mar23195339@cbnewse.ATT.COM> Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM writes:

>So what's the big security increase gained by having to ask root to
>let you use crontab?  The only cron related problem I can see is
>forgetting to remove a user's crontab and at(1) jobs when her/his
>account is deleted, e.g., at the end of the semester.  Am I just dim?

Well, when cron is denied, it is only necessary to remember to kill the
user's executing processes when his/her account is deleted.  And change
the owner of their controlling ttys or other accessed devices, etc.
--
Norman Diamond       diamond@tkov50.enet.dec.com