[comp.unix.admin] license managers

talbot@steel.mips.com (Jacques Talbot - Bull) (03/20/91)

I am investigating the various license management programs
r license brokers) for UNIX that exist around.
I have the documentation for FLEXlm from HIGHLAND Software.

I have been told that HP has a similar product. Does anybody know better ?

Any other suggestions/hints welcome.
E-mail and I will summarize to the net

Thanks

--
Jacques Talbot     Bull at MIPS 928 Arques Avenue  Sunnyvale CA 94086-3650 USA
Email:talbot@mips.com Bulltex:J.TALBOT Tel:(1)408 524 8380 FAX:(1)408 524 8401

talbot@steel.mips.com (Jacques Talbot - Bull) (03/27/91)

In comp.unix.admin on March 19, I wrote :
>I am investigating the various license management programs
>(license brokers) for UNIX that exist around.
>I have the documentation for FLEXlm from HIGHLAND Software.
>
>I have been told that HP has a similar product. Does anybody know better ?
>
>Any other suggestions/hints welcome.
>E-mail and I will summarize to the net

This did not generated an awful lot of interest, perhaps due to the
nature of the newsgroup. I therefore expand this summary to comp.dcom.lans.
Here are the answers I received, slightly edited, plus some info on vendors.
Thanks to all who answered.

From: Mark Verber <verber@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu>

From: craig@jido.b11.ingr.com (Craig Presson)

From: millidc!millipore!blu@uunet.UU.NET (Brian Utterback)

From: ames!scubed!asihub.autosys.com!dano@mips.com (Dan O'Neill)

>The Highland software is good. The only drawback is when you want the
>package ported to some OS/hardware that Highland does not currently
>support.  Their contention is that if there are not a lot of people
>who want the software on that platform, then they will not port it.
>They do, however, leave you the option of purchasing their source code
>and doing the port yourself.
>
>We use Highland's software on several platforms with excellent
>results.  Highland will give you a demonstration copy of their
>software.
>
>The HP package is really the Apollo network licensing code.  Since HP
>purchased Apollo, the licensing package is now the "HP Licensing
>Package".  I am unfamiliar with it's capabilities, so I am unable to
>provide any comments.
>
>Regards.
>--
>Dan O'Neill     Cadence Design Systems, San Diego, CA
>UUCP: {uunet|ncr-sd}!asihub!dano     ...cadence!dano
>Domain: dano@autosys.com     dano@cadence.com

More info :

- NetLS : Network License Server

[Info from HP Hot Line 1 800 752 0900]
it has been developed by the Apollo division of HP
(when it was Apollo) and is now available from HP and Gradient.
It runs on top on NCS.  It is available on Apollo/Domain and will be on HP-UX,
SunOS and DEC (Ultrix?).

Other info:
NetLS has been submitted to the OSF DME RFT jointly by HP and Gradient.

- Highland SW : 1001 Elwell Court     Palo Alto CA 94303
(415) 493 8567   FAX: ... 4506

Hope this helps.