[comp.unix.admin] finger and chfn

nash@ucselx.sdsu.edu (Ron Nash) (03/30/91)

I manage a 4.3 BSD computer that has a brain dead chfn program.  The
chfn program allows users to enter very long fields that cause finger
to dump core.  I would love to get a copy of chfn fix this problem, or
a copy of a version with this problem fixed.

On this system (Elxsi 6420) passwd, chfn and chsh are the same
program.  The passwd file field changed depends upon the name of the
link name.  I have looked for sources for passwd on various anonymous
ftp sites, but have not found one that also changes finger entries.

Any pointers are welcome!

--
Ron Nash 	San Diego State University
Internet:  	nash@ucselx.sdsu.edu

ag@amix.commodore.com (Keith Gabryelski) (04/03/91)

I kind of doubt this is an internals question.  Followups to
comp.unix.admin although comp.sources.d might be better.

In article <1991Mar29.175847.25965@ucselx.sdsu.edu> nash@ucselx.sdsu.edu
(Ron Nash) writes:
>I manage a 4.3 BSD computer that has a brain dead chfn program.  The
>chfn program allows users to enter very long fields that cause finger
>to dump core.  I would love to get a copy of chfn fix this problem,
>or a copy of a version with this problem fixed.

Clue: finger dumps core.

The bug would seem to be in `finger' (or whatever finger uses to read
the password entry).  Fix it first.  You also may want a chfn that
doesn't allow users to enter sufficiently bizarre information to
protect other broken programs that may be a little more critical than
finger.

There are several finger implimentations out there.  One of which was
written by me that emulates the ITS finger with WHAT and TTYLOC
fields.  The BSD version is most likely free.  Several are available
on uunet.

There is atleast one publicly available chfn program out there written
by John F Haugh II (jfh@rpp386.cactus.org).  Probably available on
uunet.  There are two chsh programs on uunet owned by rsalz (of
comp.sources.unix fame).  Maybe one of these distributions has what
you need.

Pax, Keith
--
Keith Gabryelski                                 Advanced Products Group
ag@amix.commodore.com                                 ...!cbmvax!amix!ag

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) (04/03/91)

In article <1582@amix.commodore.com> ag@amix.commodore.com (Keith Gabryelski) writes:
>I kind of doubt this is an internals question.  Followups to
>comp.unix.admin although comp.sources.d might be better.

Grrr.  Some of us don't read all 23 comp.unix newsgroups - as bad an
idea it is to leave the posting in comp.unix.internals, you're stuck
since the poster might be like me and not read the other group.  We
need to get the postings to =originate= in the correct group, not
get shuffled off and lost in the correct group.

>There is atleast one publicly available chfn program out there written
>by John F Haugh II (jfh@rpp386.cactus.org).  Probably available on
>uunet.  There are two chsh programs on uunet owned by rsalz (of
>comp.sources.unix fame).  Maybe one of these distributions has what
>you need.

It was posted to alt.sources some time back.  I suppose I need to
send it off to some more respectable group so it will be in the
regular, more widely recognized archives ...
--
John F. Haugh II        | Distribution to  | UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!rpp386!jfh
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832 | GEnie PROHIBITED :-) |  Domain: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org