[comp.unix.admin] free space on filesystems

brinich@keinstr.UUCP (Mark Brinich) (04/05/91)

Seems to me that keeping the default 10% of disk space to be accessible only by root is wasteful in most cases.  In fact it seems that / & /usr are really the only normal filesystems where you'd really want to do that, but I can't verify that by any documentation I have.  Any comments would be appreciated.  e-mail is sufficient..........thanks.......mcb
--
Mark Brinich
voice mail(or maybe the real live thing)216 498-2821

marco@ghost.unimi.it (Marco Negri) (04/06/91)

brinich@keinstr.UUCP (Mark Brinich) writes:
>Seems to me that keeping the default 10% of disk space to be accessible only
>by root is wasteful in most cases.  In fact it seems that / & /usr are
>really the only normal filesystems where you'd really want to do that, but
>I can't verify that by any documentation I have.  Any comments would be
>appreciated.  e-mail is sufficient..........thanks.......mcb
>--
>Mark Brinich
>voice mail(or maybe the real live thing)216 498-2821
>e-mail   uunet!keinstr!brinich
>Keithley Instruments  28775 Aurora Rd. Cleveland, Ohio 44139-1891

	You should modify the "fs_minfree" field of the super block,
	while the fs is not mounted, of course.
	In any systems we have a command that do it.
	For example for the hp-ux the command is tunefs.
	Bye.
--
Marco Negri				Phone  : +39-2-7575242
Universita` di Milano			Fax    : +39-2-76110556

brinich@keinstr.UUCP (Mark Brinich) writes:
>Seems to me that keeping the default 10% of disk space to be accessible
>only by root is wasteful in most cases.  In fact it seems that / &

First off, try putting some returns in your posts (so the entire thing
isn't on a single line.

Now, as to your question.  The 10% isn't really being reserved for root. The
10% isn't writable by normal users because when the UFS file system gets
above 90% full performance suffers significantly.

--
Conor P. Cahill            (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170