[comp.unix.admin] Fair use and account agreements for students/faculty/staff

ctp@cs.utexas.edu (Clyde T. Poole) (04/09/91)

The Dept. of Computer Sciences at the Univ. of Texas at Austin is
reconsidering its policy on the kind of agreement each person requesting
access to computer equipment and software in the dept. must sign.
Some issues surround fair, ethical and proper use others surround
disclosure and or duplication of licensed software.

I would like to hear from other universities concerning what sorts of
agreement they require student, faculty and staff to sign before allowing
them access to computer equipment and software.

ctp
-----
Clyde T. Poole -- Technical Coordinator, Facilities and Equipment
Univ. of Texas at Austin        Internet/NSFnet/CSnet: ctp@cs.utexas.edu
Dept. of Computer Sciences      UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!cs.utexas.edu!ctp
Taylor Hall 2.124               BITNET: ctp@UTXVMS  SPAN: UTSPAN::UTADNX::CTP
Austin, TX  78712-1188          VOICE: (512) 471-9551   FAX: (512) 471-0548

marchany@vtserf.cc.vt.edu (Randy Marchany) (04/09/91)

In article <38@gobi.cs.utexas.edu> ctp@cs.utexas.edu (Clyde T. Poole) writes:
>I would like to hear from other universities concerning what sorts of
>agreement they require student, faculty and staff to sign before allowing
>them access to computer equipment and software.

There is an archive directory for the Internet Engineering Task Foce
Site Security Policy Handbook Working Group (SSPHWG). The group is
creating a handbook to help sites develop their own security policies..
It's available via anonymous ftp from cert.sei.cmu.edu under the
/pub/ssphwg. Look in the README file for more detailed info. This seems
to be a good start in helping sites with such a sticky issue. Hope this
helps.
	-Randy Marchany
	VA Tech Computing Center
	Blacksburg, VA 24060
INTERNET: marchany@vtserf.cc.vt.edu

brendan@cs.widener.edu (Brendan Kehoe) (04/09/91)

In <1585@vtserf.cc.vt.edu>, marchany@vtserf.cc.vt.edu writes:
>In article <38@gobi.cs.utexas.edu> ctp@cs.utexas.edu (Clyde T. Poole) writes:
>>I would like to hear from other universities concerning what sorts of
>>agreement they require student, faculty and staff to sign before allowing
>>them access to computer equipment and software.
>There is an archive directory for the Internet Engineering Task Foce
>Site Security Policy Handbook Working Group (SSPHWG). The group is
>creating a handbook to help sites develop their own security policies..

  There's also an archive of the acceptable use policies & other info
 for different networks & schools on ftp.cs.widener.edu (192.55.239.130)
 in pub/cud/schools and pub/cud/networks.
  Hope it helps..

--
     Brendan Kehoe - Widener Sun Network Manager - brendan@cs.widener.edu
  Widener University in Chester, PA                A Bloody Sun-Dec War Zone