[comp.unix.admin] nslookup works, but ping, finger, telnet, et al don't : HELP!

fab9452@tamsun.tamu.edu (Allan Bailey) (04/03/91)

 Over the weekend I brought up and installed a Sun 4/490, SunOS 4.1.1 .

 The problem is that our named seems to not be working properly, and I can't
figure it at all.

 Symptoms:

  sendmail to off-campus sites returns complaining about "mailer world unknown"

  ping and finger say "unknown host"

  nslookup works fine.

 Question:

  Does anyone have any ideas what could be the problem?

  any help would be appreciated.

Allan Bailey           |Disclaimer: The views expressed herein are not
fab9452@tamsun.tamu.edu|those of Texas A&M.  void where prohibited,

anlauf@darmstadt.gmd.dbp.de (Thomas Anlauf) (04/05/91)

From article <14092@helios.TAMU.EDU>, by fab9452@tamsun.tamu.edu (Allan Bailey):

>  Over the weekend I brought up and installed a Sun 4/490, SunOS 4.1.1 .
>
>  The problem is that our named seems to not be working properly, and I can't
> figure it at all.
>
>  Symptoms:
>
>   sendmail to off-campus sites returns complaining about "mailer world unknown"
>
>   ping and finger say "unknown host"
>
>   nslookup works fine.
>
>  Question:
>
>   Does anyone have any ideas what could be the problem?
>
>   any help would be appreciated.

If you use NIS, you have to call "makedbm" with "b"-option in your NIS-
makefile while making "hosts.time":

hosts.time: $(DIR)/hosts
	-@if [ -f $(DIR)/hosts ]; then \
		sed -e "/^#/d" -e s/#.*$$// $(DIR)/hosts | $(STDHOSTS) \
		| awk '{for (i = 2; i <= NF; i++) print $$i, $$0}' \
		| $(MAKEDBM) -b - $(YPDBDIR)/$(DOM)/hosts.byname; \
		...          /|\
		...           |
		...           |

Greetings - Thomas

GMD                                     |                n o
Thomas Anlauf                           |              n e w s
Rheinstr. 75                            |                i s
D-6100 Darmstadt                        |               b a d
EMail: anlauf@darmstadt.gmd.dbp.de      |              n e w s

steve@castle.ed.ac.uk (S D Law) (04/09/91)

In article <14092@helios.TAMU.EDU> fab9452@tamsun.tamu.edu (Allan Bailey) writes:

> Over the weekend I brought up and installed a Sun 4/490, SunOS 4.1.1 .
>
> The problem is that our named seems to not be working properly, and I can't
>figure it at all.

At the top of the Makefile in /var/yp set the parameter B to be -b, ie.
B=-b

Now delete all *.time files in /var/yp and remake all your maps(remember
to delete all unwanted host names from the hosts file.  Usually a good
idea to leave local names but delete others).  Restart ypserv and also
ypbind on any clients.

Steve.

krista@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Krista Shufelt) (04/10/91)

In article <4056@darmstadt.gmd.dbp.de> anlauf@darmstadt.gmd.dbp.de (Thomas Anlauf) writes:
>From article <14092@helios.TAMU.EDU>, by fab9452@tamsun.tamu.edu (Allan Bailey):
>>  Symptoms:
>>   sendmail to off-campus sites returns complaining about "mailer world unknown"
>>   ping and finger say "unknown host"
>>   nslookup works fine.
>If you use NIS, you have to call "makedbm" with "b"-option in your NIS-
>makefile while making "hosts.time":

We have the same problem.  Is there any way we can resolve names without
running NIS?

krista shufelt

krista@jarthur.claremont.edu                       ...uunet!jarthur!krista