[comp.unix.admin] Summary: log file and mail message filtering programs

vancleef@nas.nasa.gov (Robert E. Van Cleef) (04/02/91)

Thanks to those who replied...

To supply context, here was the original question:

> From: vancleef@nas.nasa.gov (Robert E. Van Cleef)
> Subject: log file and mail message filtering programs
> Date: Fri, 22 Mar 91 15:12:40 GMT
>
> One of the major problems with the administration of a large number
> of systems is the large volume of information that is generated everyday
> by the systems.
>
> There is a massive amount of information that is available in the system
> log files or system mail messages that the system administrator is forced
> to ignore, or may not even be aware of, because of the large amount of
> information and the enormous amount of noise.
>
> (It is almost as bad a trying to keep up with a USEnet newsgroup:)
>
> Has anyone done any work on developing intelligent filters that can monitor
> the information generated by a couple of hundred workstations, filter out the
> noise, and summarize the results?
>
> Any pointers would be welcome, and I will summarize any results that I receive.
>
> Bob
> --
> Bob Van Cleef 			vancleef@nas.nasa.gov
> NASA Ames Research Center	(415) 604-4366
> ---
> Perception is reality...
Here is a summary of the replies. Apparently there is only one tool "watcher"
freely available and one commercial product "XRSA" ...

Look for a new book - "UNIX Tool Building" by Kenneth Ingham.

It includes a description a tool called "watcher", also by Kenneth
Ingham, which was also described in the paper:

	> "Keeping Watch Over the Flocks by Night (and Day)"
	> by Kenneth Ingham
	> Proceedings of the Summer 1987 USENIX Technical Conference and Exhibition,
	> Summer 1987, pp. 105-110.

Thanks to:
> From: smfedor@solar.lerc.nasa.gov (Gregory Fedor)
> From: Fuat C. Baran <fuat@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>
> From: Scott Gasparian <gaspar@inf.ethz.ch>

I was also sent some small script examples (included below)

Thanks to:
> From: Dan Chaney <chaney@ms.uky.edu>

There is also a complany called XRSA, that provides a consulting/
system monitoring servic: (more below)

> From: dick@ccnext.ucsf.edu (Dick Karpinski)
> From: eci386!jmm@zoo.toronto.edu (John Macdonald)

Here is the full collection of replies: hope it helps... Bob