[comp.unix.admin] User-specified file sharing

mills@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Gary Mills) (04/19/91)

Does anyone know of a way that groups of users can share files among
themselves without requiring action by the administrator?  Just making
the file world-readable is not a solution, so it would have to involve
group permissions.  Some users allow sharing via .rhosts files, but
this can become a security nightmare because the whole account is shared.
We run SunOS 4.1.1, NFS, and NIS, if it matters.
--
-Gary Mills-         -Networking Group-          -U of M Computer Services-

berg@marvin.e17.physik.tu-muenchen.de (Stephen R. van den Berg) (04/24/91)

Gary Mills writes:
>Does anyone know of a way that groups of users can share files among
>themselves without requiring action by the administrator?

Suppose users "george" and "henry" want to share the files "fa" and "fb",
consider the following setup:

~henry						drwxr-xr-x 1 henry
     |george					drwx------ 1 george
     |	   |fa					-rw-rw-rw- 2 henry
     |	   |fb					-rw-rw-rw- 2 henry
     |henry					drwx------ 1 henry
          |fa					-rw-rw-rw- 2 henry
	  |fb					-rw-rw-rw- 2 henry

Where fa and fb are physically linked (ln henry/fa george/fa).

The only restriction is, that files can not be arbitrarily created or
removed.  (Though a suitably secure suid henry and george program can take
care of that).
--
Sincerely,                 berg@marvin.e17.physik.tu-muenchen.de
           Stephen R. van den Berg.