[comp.unix.admin] DELETING

chip@osh3.OSHA.GOV (Chip Yamasaki) (04/23/91)

I need information on how to "remake" or delete a user account on SCO
Unix Sys V.3.2.2.  They say in the admin guide that an account is NEVER
deleted, just retired, PERMANENTLY!

I really don't like this at all.  You mean if I have a user "joe" and he
leaves and I retire his account I can NEVER recover it and NEVER have
another "joe"?  This sounds nuts to me.  I can see the reason for not
doing so, but there are cases when you might want to:

	If "joe" hasn't been here for a long time.
	If I want to completely rebuild the account for "joe".
	If "joe" unexpectedly comes back.

I want to be able to control the process on the system myself and make
my own decisions.  Is that too much to ask?

Sorry, didn't mean to make this sound like a flame.  Not the right place
for it and it's not THAT major a problem.

Any information is appreciated.  Thanks!

djm@eng.umd.edu (David J. MacKenzie) (04/23/91)

> I need information on how to "remake" or delete a user account on SCO
> Unix Sys V.3.2.2.  They say in the admin guide that an account is NEVER
> deleted, just retired, PERMANENTLY!

That's if you only use their sysadmsh to manage accounts.  All you
have to do is basically

find /tcb /etc/auth -type f -print | xargs grep -l USERNAME

then hand-edit the files that it lists as appropriate.  I changed my
username this way (without changing my UID), and I think I've
undeleted a user or two as well.
--
David J. MacKenzie <djm@eng.umd.edu> <djm@ai.mit.edu>

rbraun@spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) (04/24/91)

djm@eng.umd.edu (David J. MacKenzie) writes:
>That's if you only use their sysadmsh to manage accounts.  All you
>have to do is basically
>
>find /tcb /etc/auth -type f -print | xargs grep -l USERNAME
>
>then hand-edit the files that it lists as appropriate.  I changed my
>username this way (without changing my UID), and I think I've
>undeleted a user or two as well.

SCO also says you can't change the UID of a given user, which is also
false.  I have to do it in an NFS environment; for example, when some other
Unix or Novell administrator creates a login for a user who has an
account on my system, I have to change the UID on each system so they
all match.  (SCO didn't supply *any* scripts which are capable of
synchronizing account maintenance across a network of systems, and with
the small size of my site it's not yet worth it for me to come up with
such scripts across the diversity of platforms we have.)

David's posting is basically the right idea:  look in subdirectories of
/tcb and /etc/auth for the two or three files associated with each user.
Also don't forget to update /etc/passwd if you need to delete or change
a username, UID, or GID.  Also, make sure the ownership UID and GID
associated with the files in /tcb and /etc/auth are set correctly, and
that the ownership of the user's home directory and files are correct.

To the folks at SCO:  can you supply scripts in some future release
which can handle all these revisions properly?  In an NFS environment,
this is not just a convenience, but a necessity.

-rich

jpr@jpradley.jpr.com (Jean-Pierre Radley) (04/28/91)

In article <DJM.91Apr22213730@egypt.eng.umd.edu> djm@eng.umd.edu (David J. MacKenzie) writes:
>> I need information on how to "remake" or delete a user account on SCO
>> Unix Sys V.3.2.2.  They say in the admin guide that an account is NEVER
>> deleted, just retired, PERMANENTLY!
>
>That's if you only use their sysadmsh to manage accounts.  All you
>have to do is basically
>
>find /tcb /etc/auth -type f -print | xargs grep -l USERNAME
>
>then hand-edit the files that it lists as appropriate.  I changed my
>username this way (without changing my UID), and I think I've
>undeleted a user or two as well.

Have you obtained unx257 from sosco?
This gives you new versions of rmuser and unretire, which are effective if
you've relaxed the C2 security.

Jean-Pierre Radley   Unix in NYC   jpr@jpr.com   jpradley!jpr   CIS: 72160,1341

sysop@mixcom.COM (System Operator) (04/30/91)

>In article <DJM.91Apr22213730@egypt.eng.umd.edu> djm@eng.umd.edu (David J. MacKenzie) writes:
>>> I need information on how to "remake" or delete a user account on SCO
>>> Unix Sys V.3.2.2.  They say in the admin guide that an account is NEVER
>>> deleted, just retired, PERMANENTLY!

A user can be removed.  To remove user "smith" you would (as
root):

1) edit the /etc/passwd file and remove the entry.
2) cd /tcb/files/auth/s
   rm smith
3) delete the user's directory

When you reboot the computer it may bitch and moan about
inconsistencies in the user database.  If the software
asks if it should correct them, respond yes.  If you
have installed the recent software updates (SLS), the software
will silently correct inconsistencies.

By all means get the (free) updates from SCO.  You can get
them via UUCP. (Contact SCO for details.)

Dean Roth

P.S. I remove users regularly and my system still works.