[comp.unix.admin] Multiple tail programme

colemanm@cheops.qld.tne.oz.au (Mark Coleman) (04/30/91)

Sorry if this is a FAQ but I'm looking for a version of 'tail' that allows me
display the updates to files from multiple files.

e.g.  $ tail -f <file1> <file2> <file3>

ThanksInAdvance.....Markc.....

--
Mark Coleman                   O _ O   EMAIL: colemanm@cheops.qld.tne.oz.au
Telecom Australia                |     FAX:   +61 7 837 4704

Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM (05/01/91)

Mark> e.g.  $ tail -f <file1> <file2> <file3>

tail -f file1 & tail -f file2 & tail -f file3
seems to work

kherron@ms.uky.edu (Kenneth Herron) (05/01/91)

colemanm@cheops.qld.tne.oz.au (Mark Coleman) writes:

>Sorry if this is a FAQ but I'm looking for a version of 'tail' that allows me
>display the updates to files from multiple files.

>e.g.  $ tail -f <file1> <file2> <file3>

#!/bin/sh
# mtail -- tail -f on multiple files at once

for file in $*
do
	tail -f $file &
done
exit 0

--------
The ability to specify arguments to the tail calls is left as an
excercise for the reader.
--
Kenneth Herron                                            kherron@ms.uky.edu
University of Kentucky                                        (606) 257-2975

colemanm@cheops.qld.tne.oz.au (Mark Coleman) (05/01/91)

Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM writes:

>Mark> e.g.  $ tail -f <file1> <file2> <file3>

>tail -f file1 & tail -f file2 & tail -f file3
>seems to work

Hi, I have actually had a couple of replies via direct mail that includes
a proggy called xtail and a another that someone else had knocked up.

The reason I asked for a multiple file tailer is that '&'ing tails tend to chew
up system resources on our systems.

We are currently in development/trial/production mode and hence we are keeping
a close eye on errors reported in our application.

If anyone is interested in copies of the said files just drop us line at my
addr. in my sig below.

TaRa.....MarkC.....

--

chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) (05/03/91)

In article <1991Apr30.054042.14998@cheops.qld.tne.oz.au>
	colemanm@cheops.qld.tne.oz.au (Mark Coleman) writes:
>Sorry if this is a FAQ but I'm looking for a version of 'tail' that allows me
>display the updates to files from multiple files.

Checkout the `xtail' program I posted to comp.sources.misc way back when:

    v07i108   xtail            a kind of "tail -f" for multiple files

As I mention in the distributed notes, my favorite use is:

    xtail /usr/spool/uucp/.Log/* /local/spool/smail/log

Note that those are actually directory names.  xtail will watch all
the files in them, and will notice when files are created or deleted
there.  I always keep an xtail running on one of my 386 XENIX console
screens to monitor the uucp system.  It tends to eat about 2% of the
available CPU, which isn't too bad.

By the way, there is one patch which fixes the dependancies in the
Makefile.  I can send it out, but it would probably be easier to just
edit the Makefile and remove the `/usr/include' dependancies.

--
Chip Rosenthal  512-482-8260  |
Unicom Systems Development    |    I saw Elvis in my wtmp file.

djl@dplace.UUCP (Dave Lampe) (05/03/91)

colemanm@cheops.qld.tne.oz.au (Mark Coleman) writes:

>Sorry if this is a FAQ but I'm looking for a version of 'tail' that allows me
>display the updates to files from multiple files.

>e.g.  $ tail -f <file1> <file2> <file3>

The progam you want is called "watch". It was posted in the old mod.sources
group by Brent Callaghan, {ihnp4|mtuxo|pegasus}!poseidon!brent, and is
available on uunet in the states. I don't know about OZ. It uses curses to
split the screen into as many panes as there are files and runs a tail-f
in each one.
--
Dave Lampe
{ames | lll-tis | sun | pyramid}!pacbell!dplace!djl

edwin@cs.ruu.nl (Edwin Kremer) (05/06/91)

Mark Coleman was looking for program that does:

   |> a version of 'tail' that allows me
   |> display the updates to files from multiple files.
   |>
   |> e.g.  $ tail -f <file1> <file2> <file3>

You might want to take a look at Chip Rosenthal's "xtail" program (the 'x'
in front has nothing to do with X11 though). I use it all the time; it
is also able to watch directories (notices file deletion/creation).

It's in our archive; details below, look for "UNIX/xtail.tar.Z"

**> This is my ``standard-answer'' to requests for free software that I
**> think our archive-service can fulfil. Usually, I mail this message
**> directly to the person who queried, but since people keep on asking,
**> I've decided to post this message as a follow-up on these kind of
**> queries in the relevant newsgroup(s) every once a month or so...

  We, Computer Science department, Utrecht University, are running an
anonymous FTP server on one of our systems. I should say that we're
NOT archiving all of "comp.sources.*". Instead, we're putting a lot
of effort in trying to keep the archive up-to-date.

 Here are the details on anonymous FTP:
 ======================================

	Site:		archive.cs.ruu.nl  [131.211.80.5]
	Login:		"anonymous" or "ftp"
	Password:	your email address (you@your_domain)
	Usage:		see the ftp(1) manual on your system
	Hot topics:	TeX stuff, Atari-ST software, Elm 2.3, NN 6.4,
			UNIX software, sundry documentation, ...
	Important:	to get a description of what exactly is in the
			archive get the file "pub/ls-lR.Z". Also, in each
			sub-directory there is a file named "INDEX" that
			describes the software in that directory (what
			version, what else you need, who wrote it, etc.).

  Although anonymous FTP is our main goal, we're also running a mail server,
because we *know* how you feel when there's plenty of beautiful software
around that you can't reach. We've been in that situation for a long long
time... All we ask from you is that you at least *try* to keep big requests
out of the prime-time hours (nights and weekends are fine).

 Okay, now for how to access our mail server:

	1) The mail server can be reached at the address

			mail-server@cs.ruu.nl

	   or the old-fashioned path alternative

			...!uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ruuinf!mail-server

	2) The mail server understands a couple of commands, all commands
	   must be in the message body. The first thing you might want to
	   do is ask it for help:

			send HELP

	3) A complete "ls-lR" listing of the archive is kept in the
	   top-level directory, it will be updated every night. To get
	   it, say:

			send ls-lR.Z

	   Note that compressed files will be sent UUEncoded by default; we
	   use the UUE that was posted to the net some time ago.
	   In every subdirectory you'll find a "INDEX" file, describing the
	   contents of that directory. So, e.g. to find out what's in the
	   NN-6.4 directory, say:

			send NN-6.4/INDEX

	4) Last, assume you want to get the UUE/UUD package mentioned above:

			send UNIX/uudecode.shar

	5) If your mailer appends your fancy signature file, you might want
	   to mark the end of the mail-server commands-list by putting an

			end

	   command above the signature file. This will prevent "unknown
	   command" messages from the mail-server program.

  That's all for now. If you encounter problems using the FTP service
and/or the mail-server, feel free to drop me a line (by e-mail, please).

		thanks for your time,
						--[ Edwin ]--
--
Edwin Kremer (SysAdm), Dept. of Computer Science, Utrecht University
Padualaan 14,   P.O. Box 80.089,  3508 TB  Utrecht,  The Netherlands