[comp.unix.admin] xterm setuid problems.

jc@raven.bu.edu (James Cameron) (05/14/91)

System:  SunOS 4.1.1 on SparcStation2 with X11R4

Problem: Error messages generated by xterm and xload on client machine.
         We have one SparcStation2 server and a client which NFS's the
	 the local partition.  However, when either xterm or xload is
	 started on the client, the following messages are generated:

May 14 02:10:45 pitch vmunix: xload, uid 23: setuid execution not allowed
May 14 02:10:46 pitch vmunix: xterm, uid 23: setuid execution not allowed

	 I did export the partition with the -root parameter as follows:

/usr1           -root=pitch.bu.edu

	 this did not fix the problem.  We are not running NIS so on
	 both machines there exists /etc/passwd which is a replica
         of the other....

Any ideas?

jc

--
					-- James Cameron  (jc@raven.bu.edu)

Signal Processing and Interpretation Lab.  Boston, Mass  (617) 353-2879
"But to risk we must, for the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.  For
the man or woman who risks nothing, has nothing, does nothing, is nothing."
	(Quote from the eulogy for the late Christa McAuliffe.)

jar@ifi.uio.no (Jo Are Rosland) (05/14/91)

In article <JC.91May14025735@raven.bu.edu> jc@raven.bu.edu (James Cameron) writes:

   May 14 02:10:45 pitch vmunix: xload, uid 23: setuid execution not allowed
   May 14 02:10:46 pitch vmunix: xterm, uid 23: setuid execution not allowed

	    I did export the partition with the -root parameter as follows:

   /usr1           -root=pitch.bu.edu

	    this did not fix the problem.  We are not running NIS so on
	    both machines there exists /etc/passwd which is a replica
	    of the other....

How does your /etc/fstab look?  Do you have a 'nosuid' mount parameter
tucked away somewhere?
--
Jo Are Rosland
jar@ifi.uio.no

jc@raven.bu.edu (James Cameron) (05/15/91)

I posted the below message which has been easily solved.  *8-)
(Warning to all new SysAdmins:  don't allow people to have root
access when you are setting up the system....can confuse the
heck out of you.)

[..deleted unnecessary lines...]

||> System:  SunOS 4.1.1 on SparcStation2 with X11R4

||> May 14 02:10:45 pitch vmunix: xload, uid 23: setuid execution not allowed
||> May 14 02:10:46 pitch vmunix: xterm, uid 23: setuid execution not allowed

||> Any ideas?

||> jc

For some strange reason, one of the other users switched the /etc/fstab
to be nosuid.  I knew *I* had not done it, and simply should have checked
it before posting.  Thanks for all the help people to remind me to
check it.

jc
--
					-- James Cameron  (jc@raven.bu.edu)

Signal Processing and Interpretation Lab.  Boston, Mass  (617) 353-2879
"But to risk we must, for the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.  For
the man or woman who risks nothing, has nothing, does nothing, is nothing."
	(Quote from the eulogy for the late Christa McAuliffe.)

In article <JC.91May14025735@raven.bu.edu> jc@raven.bu.edu (James Cameron) writes:
>May 14 02:10:45 pitch vmunix: xload, uid 23: setuid execution not allowed
>May 14 02:10:46 pitch vmunix: xterm, uid 23: setuid execution not allowed
>	 I did export the partition with the -root parameter as follows:

I suspect you're using the "nosuid" option in the mount on pitch.
--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar