[comp.unix.admin] Fujitsu 1.2Gb disk on Sun

parker@mprgate.mpr.ca (Ross Parker) (05/10/91)

I've set up a Fujitsu 2266 disk on a Sun SPARC 2 system, and
am experiencing some problems.

Namely, I'm getting lots of fatal read and write errors in
the system error log, yet when I scan the disk for bad blocks
I encounter none. The errors are reported in blocks appearing
all over the disk. There are no errors on the internal drive
on the system, which indicates that the SCSI controller is ok.

I understand that there are potentially some problems running
anything *over* 1.2Gb on a standard SCSI bus, but that 1.2Gb
should be fine.

The numbers I've used to format the drive (on the advice of
Fujitsu) are: 1642 cylinders, 2 alternates, 15 heads, 85
sectors. The disk logic can actually address 1658 cylinders
(plus alternates), but Sun's format chokes with that.

I'm running SunOS 4.1.1 on the SPARC 2.

Any ideas?

--
Ross Parker			| Why do they put me down?
				| Make out that I'm a clown?
parker@mprgate.mpr.ca		| I drink scotch whisky all day long
uunet!ubc-cs!mprgate!parker	| Yeah I'm gonna save my money
				| (gonna put it all away...)
(604)293-5495			| 'Cause I'm a Scotsman

JRowe@exua.exeter.ac.uk (John Rowe) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May9.191941.2377@mprgate.mpr.ca> parker@mprgate.mpr.ca (Ross Parker) writes:

>   I've set up a Fujitsu 2266 disk on a Sun SPARC 2 system, and
>   am experiencing some problems.

>   The numbers I've used to format the drive (on the advice of
>   Fujitsu) are: 1642 cylinders, 2 alternates, 15 heads, 85
>   sectors. The disk logic can actually address 1658 cylinders
>   (plus alternates), but Sun's format chokes with that.

>   I'm running SunOS 4.1.1 on the SPARC 2.

Well, if it's worth anything my new Fujitsu 1.2 GB (can't find the
model number off hand - sorry!) came formatted at 1653 2 15 85, I
reformatted it with the same values on a Sparc 2 and it's been running
on an IPC as its main drive for a month with no problems. Both running
4.1.1

John

torek@elf.ee.lbl.gov (Chris Torek) (05/11/91)

The `magic limit' for old SCSI is 2 097 152 blocks.  These drives have
512-byte blocks, so that is 1 073 741 824 bytes.  This limit occurs
because the 6-byte SCSI read and write commands store the block number
in 21 bits.

The solution is to use the 10-byte SCSI read and write commands, which
have a 32 bit field and can address 4 294 967 296 blocks or, with 512
byte blocks) 2 199 023 255 552 (2 terabytes).  With 1024 byte blocks
the addressibility doubles; the 10-byte command are unlikely to be a
problem for some time.

How many SCSI disk controllers (targets) do *not* support 10-byte
commands?  My driver assumes all disks do, for now, but it would be
easy to choose 6-or-10 based on the capacity returned or, if necessary,
each block number.
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Lawrence Berkeley Lab CSE/EE (+1 415 486 5427)
Berkeley, CA		Domain:	torek@ee.lbl.gov

src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) (05/12/91)

parker@mprgate.mpr.ca (Ross Parker) writes:

>I've set up a Fujitsu 2266 disk on a Sun SPARC 2 system, and
>am experiencing some problems.

>Namely, I'm getting lots of fatal read and write errors in
>the system error log, yet when I scan the disk for bad blocks
>I encounter none. The errors are reported in blocks appearing
>all over the disk. There are no errors on the internal drive
>on the system, which indicates that the SCSI controller is ok.

sounds more like you have a problem with the scsi bus, like
no/bad termination, cable too long etc which only shows up
during 'mixed' usage, like when several devices are active
at once, or many seeks (as opposed to straight reading).

>I understand that there are potentially some problems running
>anything *over* 1.2Gb on a standard SCSI bus, but that 1.2Gb
>should be fine.

that's a problem many unix machines have, and is not scsi's fault.
for instance DEC and ISC are just fixing (or have fixed) this,
sun seems to take longer (last rumors i heard).
--
   Heiko Blume <-+-> src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de <-+-> (+49 30) 691 88 93 [voice!]
                  public UNIX source archive [HST V.42bis]:

djc@Kesa.COM (Don Christensen) (05/15/91)

src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) writes:

>parker@mprgate.mpr.ca (Ross Parker) writes:

>>I've set up a Fujitsu 2266 disk on a Sun SPARC 2 system, and
>>am experiencing some problems.

>>Namely, I'm getting lots of fatal read and write errors in
>>the system error log, yet when I scan the disk for bad blocks
>>I encounter none. The errors are reported in blocks appearing
>>all over the disk. There are no errors on the internal drive
>>on the system, which indicates that the SCSI controller is ok.

We had a similar problem on our IPC that was solved by disabling the
cache on the drive.  We were told that the cache worked fine on an SS2,
but that may not be true.

-Don
--
Don Christensen  <=> djc@kesa.com     <=> "Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend;
Kesa Corporation <=> ...!mips!kesa!djc <=> they are all equal in the end."