[comp.unix.admin] Need info on UNIX system adiministration training

dbm@icarus.jsc.nasa.gov (Brad Mears) (05/13/91)

Can anybody recommend a training course on UNIX system administration?  Since
we have a mixed shop (Sun, HP, Apollo, etc), I would prefer a class that isn't
vendor-specific.  If you know of a group that offers such a class, will you
please e-mail the name, address, & phone#?  Geographic location is not as important
as time.  We need to get some people trained soon.

Thanks for the help.

--
Brad Mears
dbm@icarus.jsc.nasa.gov

Opinions are expressly forbidden.  | "It is better to die on your feet
I speak for myself and no other.   |  than live on your knees"

smfedor@solar.lerc.nasa.gov (Gregory Fedor) (05/14/91)

In article <1991May13.153549.21248@aio.jsc.nasa.gov> dbm@icarus.jsc.nasa.gov (Brad Mears) writes:
>Can anybody recommend a training course on UNIX system administration?  Since
>we have a mixed shop (Sun, HP, Apollo, etc), I would prefer a class that isn't
>vendor-specific.  If you know of a group that offers such a class, will you
>please e-mail the name, address, & phone#?  Geographic location is not as important
>as time.  We need to get some people trained soon.
>
>Thanks for the help.

I have attended a UNIX Administration class given by ITDC out of Cincinnati,
Ohio.  They offer public courses at their Cincinnati office or in Washington
D.C.  They also offer the courses on-your-site if you have enough people.

I found them to be very complete and have taken a subsequent UNIX Security
class here at LeRC from them.

I don't have a current calendar from them, but you can call 1-800-752-5488.
My sales rep is Amy Matre if you care to ask for anyone specifically.

When I took the course it was around $995 per person with some discount
incentives for pre-payment.

Hope this helps.
Gregory A. Fedor		| Far from day, far from light    \
Sverdrup Technology Inc.	| Out of time, out of sight        \
NASA Lewis Research Center	| To a world, young and free        \\-^-/___
Cleveland, Ohio  44135-3191	| Weep no more, follow me         |===[o]/  #o
(216) 433-8468			|                                    /VVV
smfedor@lerc01.lerc.nasa.gov	| Forever...Forever...Forever       /
(128.156.10.14)			|                               Voyagers 1 & 2

rowe@cme.nist.gov (Walter Rowe) (05/15/91)

I recently took a course thru the UCLA Engineering Extension program
called "Unix System Administration".  Rob Kolstadt (Sun Microsystems)
and Evi Nemeth (University of Colorado at Boulder) taught this course.
It was a very good 4-day course.  Its basically an expanded version of
their 1-day USENIX course.

This was the first time they offered a 4-day course so I don't know
whether it will be repeated.  If so, I recommend it.  I have also
taken the 1-day USENIX course and the Sun System Admin course, and I
still feel this 4-day version was of great benefit.

Its chocked *full* of useful information.  In addition to lots of good
hints concerning Unix admin itself, they gave out information on where
to find loads of free software that can make an administator's life
easier, and can help to make your system more secure.

Here are their e-mail addresses:

Rob Kolstadt, Ph.D <kolstadt@sun.com>
  Evi Nemeth, Ph.D <evi@boulder.colorado.edu>

Perhaps someone (including myself) can request they post to this
newsgroup the schedule (if there is one) for this class.  As I said,
this was a good class for me even though I have been running an
extensive Unix network for over two years.

rory@wsl.ie (Rory Rogerson) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May13.153549.21248@aio.jsc.nasa.gov> dbm@icarus.jsc.nasa.gov (Brad Mears) writes:
>Geographic location is not as important as time.

      I.C.L. Training Services
      South County Business Park
      Leopardstown
      Dublin 18
      Republic of Ireland
      intl + 353 + 1 + 956644

--

Rory Rogerson                   Workhorse Systems Limited, Dublin
                                E-mail :       rory@wsl.ie