[comp.unix.admin] Problem with sendmail/bad file number?

edotto@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Ed Otto) (05/29/91)

Mailing out from my machine works fine.  Incoming mail bounces as shown below.
I can use all other network features to and from my machine. Can someone please
tell me why this is happening?  Please note that this message is RETURNED mail;
the mailer daemon DID find the machine...

*                             *  Netmail addresses:                           *
*  Edward C. Otto III         *    edotto@uipsuxb.ps.uiuc.edu                 *
*  University of Illinois     *    edotto@uiucux1.cso.uiuc.edu                *
*  Printing Services Office   *    UIPSA::OTTO (Decnet node 46.99)            *
*  54A E. Gregory Dr.         *    otto@uipsa.dnet.nasa.gov                   *
*  Champaign, IL  61820       *  Office phone: 217/333-9422                   *
*                             *                                               *

	"As knowledge is to ignorance, so is light unto the darkness."

		       ---     GO 'PODS!     ---

Mail error begins below this line:

From MAILER-DAEMON@uipsuxb.local Wed May 29 09:08:14 1991
Date: Wed, 29 May 91 09:09:33 CDT
From: MAILER-DAEMON@uipsuxb.ps.uiuc.edu (Mail Delivery Subsystem)
Subject: Returned mail: Service unavailable
To: <edotto@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>

>>> HELO uipsuxb.local
<<< 553 uipsuxb.local I refuse to talk to myself
554 <edotto@uipsuxb.ps.uiuc.edu>... Service unavailable: Bad file number