[comp.unix.admin] Workstations def

cazier@mbunix.mitre.org (Cazier) (05/31/91)

I would like to get a feel for what netters consider a "workstation."
Since the DOS and Mac's have increased in power with the development of the
'386 and 030's, it would appear that the PC vs. workstation lines are
a bit blurred.

Would a good definition of a workstation include or exclude the PC and
Mac's? Can a workstation be a server or multiuser system and still be
considered a workstation?

Would the following definition adequately fit "workstation"?

A configuration of a high performance, microcomputer-based hardware and
software functional unit providing an integrated desktop service to one or
more users at a time.

Does "workstation" include the IBM 3270 terminals? Are workstations only
single-user systems, although capable of multi-user use?

de5@ornl.gov (Dave Sill) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May31.143055.24859@linus.mitre.org>, cazier@mbunix.mitre.org (Cazier) writes:

>Would a good definition of a workstation include or exclude the PC and
>Mac's?

In gereral, it would allow them, but only if they meet the criteria.

>Can a workstation be a server or multiuser system and still be
>considered a workstation?

Absolutetly, a combination screwdriver/wrench doesn't cease to be a
screwdriver just becuase it meets the definition of a wrench.

>Would the following definition adequately fit "workstation"?
>
>A configuration of a high performance, microcomputer-based hardware and
>software functional unit providing an integrated desktop service to one or
>more users at a time.

No.  You need to include:

    - multitasking
    - "large" graphically-oriented, preferably bitmapped, display
    - a graphical input device, e.g., mouse, trackball, light pen, etc.
    - a windowing system
    - networking capabilities
    - and probably more things, but I can't think of any

Of course, some folks will say you need a UNIX box with a megapixel
display, or better, 8MB+ RAM, the X Window System, TCP/IP over
Ethernet, ...  But I'm inclined to use a broader definition.

>Does "workstation" include the IBM 3270 terminals?

I don't know, but I doubt it.

>Are workstations only
>single-user systems, although capable of multi-user use?

No, they're often multiuser systems, especially with X allowing remote
users to run graphical applications.

--
Dave Sill (de5@ornl.gov)	  It will be a great day when our schools have
Martin Marietta Energy Systems    all the money they need and the Air Force