[comp.unix.admin] Shells for Unix Mail?

peregrin@hulaw1.harvard.edu (05/29/91)

Hi,
	I'm looking for suggestions for frontend shells to unix's mail.
 I'm finding that it is daunting to teach users the heavily abbreviated
commands to unix  mail.  Something that is non-graphics based
(vt100/200 compatible) similar (and better) to the interface you get
with VMS mail would be nice.  A system that gives a lot of hand-holding
would be nice too.
	What's out there in anonymous ftp land?

-James
| James Peregrino                        |     JPEREGRINO@HBSSTG.HARVARD.EDU |
| Programmer/Analyst                     |       PEREGRIN@HULAW1.BITNET      |
| Science & Technology Interest Group    +-----------------------------------+
| Harvard Business School                | HBS neither expresses nor implies |
| Boston, MA 02163                       | any warranty in any of the        |
| Voice:(617)495-6307 FAX:(617)495-0351  | opinions or alleged facts herein. |

Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM (05/29/91)

p> 	I'm looking for suggestions for frontend shells to unix's mail.
p>  I'm finding that it is daunting to teach users the heavily abbreviated
p> commands to unix  mail.  Something that is non-graphics based
p> (vt100/200 compatible) similar (and better) to the interface you get
p> with VMS mail would be nice.  A system that gives a lot of hand-holding
p> would be nice too.
p> 	What's out there in anonymous ftp land?

"VM (View Mail) is an Emacs subsystem that allows UNIX mail to be read
and disposed of within Emacs.  Commands exist to do the normal things
expected of a mail user agent, such as generating replies, saving
messages to folders, deleting messages and so on.  There are other more
advanced commands that do tasks like bursting and creating digests,
message forwarding, and organizing message presentation according to
various criteria."

plus you can use SuperCite e.g., to automatically generate those "p>"s
above!  Anyway, see newsgroups gnu.emacs.vm.* for more info.

bc@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Ben Cox) (05/30/91)

peregrin@hulaw1.harvard.edu writes:

>	I'm looking for suggestions for frontend shells to unix's mail.
> I'm finding that it is daunting to teach users the heavily abbreviated
>commands to unix  mail.  Something that is non-graphics based
>(vt100/200 compatible) similar (and better) to the interface you get
>with VMS mail would be nice.  A system that gives a lot of hand-holding
>would be nice too.

Try "elm".  It's available for anonymous ftp from uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
under pub/elm-2.3.11.tar.Z.

--
Ben Cox
bc@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

So far, people have recommended vm and elm.  Two other possible choices are
mush and mh.  Both are findable using the instructions in my "Information
about finding sources" posting in comp.sources.wanted, of which you can get a
copy using the instructions appended to the end of this message if it has
expired at your site.

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace

	Available via anonymous ftp from pit-manager.mit.edu (18.72.1.58)
	in the file

	/pub/usenet/comp.sources.wanted/Information_about_finding_sources_(READ_THIS_BEFORE_POSTING)

	Available from mail-server@pit-manager.mit.edu by sending a message
	containing

	send usenet/comp.sources.wanted/Information_about_finding_sources_(READ_THIS_BEFORE_POSTING)

	Send a message containing "help" to get general information about the
	mail server.

barb@library.calpoly.edu (Barbara Nash) (06/01/91)

peregrin@hulaw1.harvard.edu elucidates:
>Hi,
>	I'm looking for suggestions for frontend shells to unix's mail.
> I'm finding that it is daunting to teach users the heavily abbreviated
>commands to unix  mail.  Something that is non-graphics based
>(vt100/200 compatible) similar (and better) to the interface you get
>with VMS mail would be nice.  A system that gives a lot of hand-holding
>would be nice too.
>	What's out there in anonymous ftp land?

elm is a sweet mail interface, fully configurable and even allowing three
levels of "competence" (beginner, intermediate, and expert).  We use it
here, as we have 70+ users who use their accounts for email only and are not
at all familiar with unix.  It's easier for them to handle the interface.

I believe it is available via anonymous ftp from uunet.uu.net, but I don't know
if they have the latest version/patches.  We are running 2.3PL11 here.

Good luck!

barb@library.calpoly.edu      |  Disclaimer:  *I* thought it, *I* said it,
bnash@polyslo.calpoly.edu     |  *I* meant it.  These are not the library's
bnash@nike.calpoly.edu        |  opinions, rather, they are mine.