[comp.unix.admin] /etc/hosts file and Internet Automatic Upgrades

edotto@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Ed Otto) (06/01/91)

Well, I have another in my line of weird questions:

Anyone know why a machine that is up 24 hrs./day, 7days/week wouldn't get
the updated /etc/hosts file?  Mine is dated January something...

Who do I have to bribe?

**	Edward C. Otto III	* Email:  UIPSA::OTTO                  **
**	University of Illinois  *         UIPSB::OTTO                  **
**	Printing Division	* 	  edotto@uipsuxb.ps.uiuc.edu   **
**	54A E. Gregory		* 	  edotto@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu      **
**	Champaign, IL		*         otto@uipsa.dnet.nasa.gov     **
**	217/333-9422		*				       **

	"As knowledge is to ignorance, so is light unto the darkness."

			--  GO 'PODS!  --

wolf@grasp1.univ-lyon1.fr (Christophe Wolfhugel) (06/02/91)

In article <1991Jun1.151000.12861@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> edotto@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Ed Otto) writes:
>Anyone know why a machine that is up 24 hrs./day, 7days/week wouldn't get
>the updated /etc/hosts file?  Mine is dated January something...

This file is not supposed to be upgraded automatically. It is to the admin
to do the job.

If you wish automatic and dynamic name resolving you should configure your
system to use the domain name server, or even define a secondary one if
this is useful to your needs. Then you'll be up to date.

--
Christophe Wolfhugel    | Email: wolf@grasp1.univ-lyon1.fr
INSA - Dpt Informatique | "Le progres ne vaut que s'il est partage par tous,"