[comp.unix.admin] Shells for SYSV machines

john@wpi.WPI.EDU (John F Stoffel) (06/05/91)

I'm looking for a replacement shell for my 3b2/400.  I want a shell
that has history and aliases.  I have bash from the gnu project up and
running (sorta), but I don't want something that BIG.  At 700K+, it is
just too big for what I want.

I've looked at vsh, ash, bash, tcsh.  The best would probably be tcsh,
but I don't have the sources to csh, and I don't think I can afford to
get a source license from Berkely.

Does anyone out there know of a good shell for SYSV with the features
I want?  Thanks!

			John

--
How do you explain Wayne Newton's POWER over millions?                   | john
 It's th' MOUSTACHE...  Have you ever noticed th' way it radiates        | @wpi

aj4640@dean1.usma.edu (Robertson John MAJ) (06/06/91)

The binary image to tcsh is available for the ftp'ing at any
number os sights.  No csh license required...

Jack

greg@gagme.chi.il.us (Gregory Gulik) (06/07/91)

john@wpi.WPI.EDU (John F Stoffel) writes:

> I'm looking for a replacement shell for my 3b2/400.  I want a shell
> that has history and aliases.  I have bash from the gnu project up and
> running (sorta), but I don't want something that BIG.  At 700K+, it is
> just too big for what I want.

Really?
I stipped my executable so now it's only 248704 bytes long.

> I've looked at vsh, ash, bash, tcsh.  The best would probably be tcsh,
> but I don't have the sources to csh, and I don't think I can afford to
> get a source license from Berkely.

You don't need to.  tcsh binaries are available by anonymous
ftp from tut.cis.ohio-state.edu.

> Does anyone out there know of a good shell for SYSV with the features
> I want?  Thanks!

YOu could always BUY ksh from the AT&T Toolchest.  I don't
know the number offhand.

-greg

--
Gregory A. Gulik                                        Call Gagme, a public
       greg@gagme.chi.il.us  ||  gulik@depaul.edu       access UNIX system at