[comp.unix.admin] syncronizing clocks on workstations

pdesh@Citicorp.COM (Peter Deshpande) (05/22/91)

Does anyone know a way to syncronize clocks on a network involving
many (sun) workstations and servers?
Is there any program out there (clock daemon) which could run on all
the machines to keep the clocks in sync.
Thanks in advance

--
P. Deshpande -- Citicorp, New York
VMS/UNIX Systems Manager - 212-291-4282

george@news.cis.ohio-state.edu (George M. Jones) (05/22/91)

pdesh@Citicorp.COM (Peter Deshpande) writes:

    Does anyone know a way to syncronize clocks on a network involving
    many (sun) workstations and servers?
    Is there any program out there (clock daemon) which could run on all
    the machines to keep the clocks in sync.
    Thanks in advance

Try ntp.  I think you can get the latest via anonymous FTP
from louie.udel.edu in pub/ntp

---George
--
OSU Computer & Inf. Science 2036 Neil Ave.,Columbus,Ohio 43210. 614-292-7325
george@cis.ohio-state.edu or ...!osu-cis!george

barnett@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (05/22/91)

In article <1991May21.175317.12255@Citicorp.COM> pdesh@Citicorp.COM (Peter Deshpande) writes:

>   Does anyone know a way to syncronize clocks on a network involving
>   many (sun) workstations and servers?

A simple solution is to add a
	rdate machine
in each machine's crotab file.

have the clients sync off the servers, and all of the servers sync off
one stable server. This works on SUNOS, but on Ultrix machines,
it seems to do an average of machines times.

ntp is also a good solution. You get errors if the times are way out
of date. Using rdate can cause problems if your master has the wrong time.
--
Bruce G. Barnett	barnett@crdgw1.ge.com	uunet!crdgw1!barnett

bob@wizard.uucp (Bob Smith) (05/23/91)

In <1991May21.201152.9655@cis.ohio-state.edu> george@news.cis.ohio-state.edu (George M. Jones) writes:

> pdesh@Citicorp.COM (Peter Deshpande) writes:
>
>     Does anyone know a way to syncronize clocks on a network involving
>     many (sun) workstations and servers?
>     Is there any program out there (clock daemon) which could run on all
>     the machines to keep the clocks in sync.
>     Thanks in advance

> Try ntp.  I think you can get the latest via anonymous FTP
> from louie.udel.edu in pub/ntp

...or...

rdate will read the date/time from a specfied host and set the date/time
of the local machine accordingly, I've never tried it, but it should be
possible to cron up rdate periodically to keep clocks sync'd.(?)

--
 \ Bob Smith         \_______________________________
  \ 835 Mammoth Rd.   \ Path: wybbs!wizard!bob

vince@bcsaic.UUCP (Vince Skahan) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May23.014145.212@wizard.uucp> bob@wizard.uucp (Bob Smith) writes:
>In <1991May21.201152.9655@cis.ohio-state.edu> george@news.cis.ohio-state.edu (George M. Jones) writes:
>
>> pdesh@Citicorp.COM (Peter Deshpande) writes:
>>
>>     Does anyone know a way to syncronize clocks on a network involving
>>     many (sun) workstations and servers?

I wrote a shell script that runs out of cron on one workstation with the
master (by definition..."good") clock and goes out and does a
rsh $system date xxxxxxxx command.  It works pretty well in practice if
you have one "group of systems" with the ability for root to do rsh's
among systems in the group.

let me know if you want a copy. It keeps my 75 systems to about 1 second
either way.

I've used "timed" on Apollos which also worked pretty well, but creates
a measurable (but maybe insignificant) load on the systems.
                         Vince Skahan
 vince@atc.boeing.com                  ...uw-beaver!bcsaic!vince
        	(lifelong Phillies fan...pity me)

jim@tiamat.fsc.com ( IT Manager) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May23.014145.212@wizard.uucp>, bob@wizard.uucp (Bob Smith) writes:
- rdate will read the date/time from a specfied host and set the date/time
- of the local machine accordingly, I've never tried it, but it should be
- possible to cron up rdate periodically to keep clocks sync'd.(?)

Is rdate publically available?  Where?

Thanks.
-------------
James B. O'Connor			jim@tiamat.fsc.com
Ahlstrom Filtration, Inc.		615/821-4022 x. 651

scotts@qsp.COM (Scott Simpers) (05/31/91)

We use timed on our suns and other systems.  It works just fine.  Don't use it
on apollo though...

You can get a copy from uunet.

Scott Simpers
Quality Software Products                    voice: (213)410-0303
5711 W Slauson Avenue  Suite 240             fax: (213)410-0124
Culver City, CA  90230                       ...uunet!qsp!scotts

bill@unixland.natick.ma.us (Bill Heiser) (06/01/91)

>In article <1991May23.014145.212@wizard.uucp>, bob@wizard.uucp (Bob Smith) writes:
>- rdate will read the date/time from a specfied host and set the date/time
>- of the local machine accordingly, I've never tried it, but it should be
>- possible to cron up rdate periodically to keep clocks sync'd.(?)

I'm using rdate on Sun/386i systems, syncing the time to a Harris
sysvr3 system which is kept in sync to a WWV receiver.  The Sun
systems seem to drift very rapidly, being at least a second off
within 12 hours or so of the sync.  The same is true of another
Harris machine which uses also uses rdate to sync to the Harris
with the WWV.     These systems are running rdate periodcally from
cron (once per day).

--
bill@unixland.natick.ma.us	The Think_Tank BBS & Public Access Unix
    ...!uunet!think!unixland!bill       bill@unixland

gjalt@ele.tue.nl (Gjalt de Jong) (06/03/91)

In article <2403@maserati.qsp.UUCP> scotts@qsp.COM (Scott Simpers) writes:

   We use timed on our suns and other systems.  It works just fine.  Don't use it
   on apollo though...

Why not on apollo's?
We have used for some time without any problems. Well, after some time we
changed to ntp to get the 'real' time.

--
__
Gjalt G. de Jong,                 | Phone: +(31)40-473345

jlf@galaxy.East.Sun.COM (John "Do The Bartman" Furlani) (06/04/91)

> >In article <1991May23.014145.212@wizard.uucp>, bob@wizard.uucp (Bob Smith) writes:
> >- rdate will read the date/time from a specfied host and set the date/time
> >- of the local machine accordingly, I've never tried it, but it should be
> >- possible to cron up rdate periodically to keep clocks sync'd.(?)

Hands down, then best way to synchronize clocks over a network is to use
NTP (Network Time Protocol).  We use this to keep our machines in sync within
our own local netowork and throughout Sun.  My fourteen servers stay within
a few miliseconds of each other and my time server stays within a few miliseconds
of Sun's time server.  If you don't want to (as we don't) use NTP on all of your
systems, the others can rdate to assorted time servers.

NTP is public domain stuff.

j.

John L. Furlani                                    VIPER
MaBell:		(919)460-8383                      Sun Microsystems
Internet:	john.furlani@East.Sun.COM          P.O. Box 13447
Uucp:		sun!sunpix!furlani@uunet.uu.net    RTP, NC 27709

 "Mars is essentially in the same orbit ... somewhat the same
   distance from the Sun, which is very important.  We have seen
   pictures where there are canals, we believe, and water.  If
   there is water, that means there is oxygen.  If oxygen, that
   means we can breathe." -- Vice Pres. Dan Quayle on Mars

de5@ornl.gov (Dave Sill) (06/04/91)

In article <988@sunpix.East.Sun.COM>, jlf@galaxy.East.Sun.COM (John "Do The Bartman" Furlani) writes:

>Hands down, then best way to synchronize clocks over a network is to use
>NTP (Network Time Protocol).

And the hands down best configuration is XNTP with a couple of
broadcast servers.  It's much, much, easier than settting up
/etc/ntp.conf files on each system telling it which systems to
synchronize to, and it uses less bandwidth too.

--
Dave Sill (de5@ornl.gov)	  Tug on anything in nature and you will find
Martin Marietta Energy Systems    it connected to everything else.

drich@dialogic.com (Dan Rich) (06/06/91)

In article <988@sunpix.East.Sun.COM>, jlf@galaxy.East.Sun.COM (John "Do The Bartman" Furlani) writes:

>Hands down, then best way to synchronize clocks over a network is to use
>NTP (Network Time Protocol).

I won't argue with that, but has anyone managed to port it to System
V?  I started trying to compile it, but didn't have any luck.  I even
wrote a version of settimeofday() for USG, but haven't been able to find
all of the system defines.

--
Dan Rich                    | drich@dialogic.com  || ...!uunet!dialogic!drich
UNIX Systems Administrator  | "Danger, you haven't seen the last of me!"

scotts@qsp.COM (Scott Simpers) (06/06/91)

In article <GJALT.91Jun3094348@eutes3.ele.tue.nl> gjalt@ele.tue.nl (Gjalt de Jong) writes:
>In article <2403@maserati.qsp.UUCP> scotts@qsp.COM (Scott Simpers) writes:
>
>   We use timed on our suns and other systems.  It works just fine.  Don't use it
>   on apollo though...
>
>Why not on apollo's?

My apologies for any misunderstandings.  What I meant to say is that we don't
use timed on our apollo's, not that there was a problem with running timed on
apollo systems.

rodgers@maxwell.mmwb.ucsf.edu (R. P. C. Rodgers, M.D.) (06/07/91)

In article <988@sunpix.East.Sun.COM>, jlf@galaxy.East.Sun.COM (John "Do The Bartman" Furlani) writes:

>Hands down, then best way to synchronize clocks over a network is to use
>NTP (Network Time Protocol).

Yes, but (at least at our site) this does not eliminate the need for
something like a cron entry for rdate, as if the slave and master clocks
get too far out of synch., ntp fails to synchronize them...

Cheerio, Rick Rodgers

R. P. C. Rodgers, M.D.         (415)476-2957 (work) 664-0560 (home)
UCSF Laurel Heights Campus     UUCP: ...ucbvax.berkeley.edu!cca.ucsf.edu!rodgers
3333 California St., Suite 102 Internet: rodgers@maxwell.mmwb.ucsf.edu
San Francisco CA 94118 USA     BITNET: rodgers@ucsfcca