[comp.unix.admin] File Ownership change

young@esvax.hamavnet.com (06/06/91)

Hello,

I am running a Unix System V machine based on the Motorola 88K.  When I create
a new user with login in id of ted, I can (as super user) look at his directory
ls -ali and can see that ted owns the files.  However, when ted logs in and
looks at his files (.profile) the owner is the user id i.e. 100 and NOT ted.

Does anyone have any comments about this. I do not believe that any one has
gotten into the system to corrupt or mess with me.

Thanks

--
Brian A. Young               | young@hamavnet.com           | Who gives a rip!
Technical Marketing Services | hplabs!mcdapps!mcdhwd!briany |

In article <1991Jun5.154641.31@esvax.hamavnet.com> young@esvax.hamavnet.com writes:
>I am running a Unix System V machine based on the Motorola 88K.  When I create
>a new user with login in id of ted, I can (as super user) look at his directory
>ls -ali and can see that ted owns the files.  However, when ted logs in and
>looks at his files (.profile) the owner is the user id i.e. 100 and NOT ted.

I'm assuming ted's uid is 100.

Check the permissions on /etc/passwd -- make sure everyone has read access
to it.  This file is used to translate the numeric uid into a user name.
--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

In article <1991Jun5.154641.31@esvax.hamavnet.com> young@esvax.hamavnet.com writes:

>I am running a Unix System V machine based on the Motorola 88K.  When I create
>a new user with login in id of ted, I can (as super user) look at his directory
>ls -ali and can see that ted owns the files.  However, when ted logs in and
>looks at his files (.profile) the owner is the user id i.e. 100 and NOT ted.

Sounds like you have read permission on /etc/passwd and he doesn't.  That's
where ls has to look to find the owner's name from the uid associated
with the file.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

pd@pd@x.co.uk (Paul Davey) (06/07/91)

Brian> Hello,

Brian> I am running a Unix System V machine based on the Motorola 88K.  When I create
Brian> a new user with login in id of ted, I can (as super user) look at his directory
Brian> ls -ali and can see that ted owns the files.  However, when ted logs in and
Brian> looks at his files (.profile) the owner is the user id i.e. 100 and NOT ted.

Brian> Does anyone have any comments about this. I do not believe that any one has
Brian> gotten into the system to corrupt or mess with me.

The implictation is that ted can't read /etc/passwd, and can't look up
any user ids/names.

try this

chmod 644 /etc/passwd

--
 Regards,			 pd@x.co.uk          IXI Limited
	Paul Davey		 pd@ixi.uucp         62-74 Burleigh St.

rodney@tyrell.stgt.sub.org (Rodney Volz) (06/08/91)

In article <1991Jun5.154641.31@esvax.hamavnet.com> young@esvax.hamavnet.com writes:
>I am running a Unix System V machine based on the Motorola 88K.  When I create
>a new user with login in id of ted, I can (as super user) look at his directory
>ls -ali and can see that ted owns the files.  However, when ted logs in and
>looks at his files (.profile) the owner is the user id i.e. 100 and NOT ted.

$ chmod 644 /etc/passwd; chown root.sys /etc/passwd

-Rodney
--
                     Rodney Volz - 7000 Stuttgart 1 - FRG
 ============> ...uunet!mcsun!unido!gtc!aragon!tyrell!rodney <=============