[comp.unix.admin] Archive media choice DAT or MO?

david@phys.anu.edu.au (David Baldwin) (06/06/91)

I am looking at evaluating DAT and Magneto-Optical disks for archival purposes,
mainly due to their
good access times. Target environments are VAX/VMS and Ultrix, on SCSI based
systems (3100s).
At present we use 8mm, but its very slow to get a file off the end of a tape.

DATs can access any point in the tape within 20 secs, and the media is cheap -
has anyone heard of
archival software that can take advantage of the quick search these devices
offer?

MO disk is a bit more expensive, but can be mounted into the filesystem, etc. It
will need special
drivers for Ultrix or VMS, or else some kind of adapter to make it look like a
hard disk - this
is necessary since ordinary hard disk drivers can't cope with removeable media.
Does anyone
have any experiences with these devices on VAX/DECStation 3100s?

Thanks in advance,
David.
=
David Baldwin				Internet: david@phys.anu.edu.au
Head, School Computer Unit,		Phone: (intl) +61+6+2490104
Research School of Physical Sciences,	  (Australia) (06) 249 0104
Australian National University		FAX:   (intl) +61+6+2491884
Canberra, ACT, Australia		  (Australia) (06) 249 1884
=

ghg@en.ecn.purdue.edu (George Goble) (06/10/91)

In article <1991Jun6.034023.3359@newshost.anu.edu.au> david@phys.anu.edu.au writes:
>I am looking at evaluating DAT and Magneto-Optical disks for archival purposes,
>mainly due to their
>good access times. Target environments are VAX/VMS and Ultrix, on SCSI based
>systems (3100s).
>At present we use 8mm, but its very slow to get a file off the end of a tape.
>
>DATs can access any point in the tape within 20 secs, and the media is cheap -

The Exabyte 8mm "8500" can move at near DAT speeds.  They also have an
8200-SX which has high speed positioning, but is more cumbersome than
the 8500.  The 8500 holds around 5GB on a P5-90 tape.
--ghg

mah@wu-wien.ac.at (Michael Haberler) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun9.212006.25244@en.ecn.purdue.edu>, ghg@en.ecn.purdue.edu (George Goble) writes:

|> The Exabyte 8mm "8500" can move at near DAT speeds.  They also have an
|> 8200-SX which has high speed positioning, but is more cumbersome than

Yes, but with a really bizarre positionioning method. Do you want to
write down the record number where your backup ended? I rather have a
file mark.

- michael

--
Michael Haberler 		mah@wu-wien.ac.at,  mah@awiwuw11.bitnet
University of Economics and Business Administration

sdesmara@sobeco.com (s.desmarais) (06/12/91)

In <1991Jun11.001118.10538@swdsrv.edvz.univie.ac.at> mah@wu-wien.ac.at (Michael Haberler) writes:
>In article <1991Jun9.212006.25244@en.ecn.purdue.edu>, ghg@en.ecn.purdue.edu (George Goble) writes:
>|> The Exabyte 8mm "8500" can move at near DAT speeds.  They also have an
>|> 8200-SX which has high speed positioning, but is more cumbersome than
>Yes, but with a really bizarre positionioning method. Do you want to
>write down the record number where your backup ended? I rather have a
>file mark.

>- michael

Yup, good ol' file marks.  That's what we're using here.  We're putting file
marks on the exabyte tapes every 100M.  To restore from the end of a tape,
we just forward space file a couple of file, and start the restore from there.
Restoring from the end of an exabyte tape takes about 20 minutes.
We're keeping a list of files dumped so we know in which section of the
tape they are.

But I'd be interested in knowing more about that "record number" scheme.
--
Stephane M. Desmarais               sdesmara@sobeco.com  ou  sdesmara@sobeco.ca
Division STS - Groupe Sobeco Inc.   {uunet | mcgill-vision}!sobeco.com!sdesmara