[comp.unix.admin] SUMMARY: simple to use operator's shell

ccdps@levels.sait.edu.au (06/11/91)

Here is a summary of replies to my posting, which was:

> Subject: Simple to use operator's control system?
> Date: 27 May 91 21:03:16 +0930
>
> Does anyone know of a utility which provides a reliable shell for operators
> to safely perform routine system maintenance tasks? I am aware of the program
> opcom (comp.sources.unix, volume 20) which allows operators to execute
> programs for which they would not normally have privilege, but what we need
> here is a friendly interface to it. We are running SunOS and Ultrix, and the
> operators are not familiar with anything more complex than a refridgerator.

There were a good number of replies (and me too's), but only 3 solutions
came up:

        1.   A commercial package called SysAdmin. "It has been on the market
             since 1985, and the next release will run under X-Windows (as well
             as curses)...", says

             Haral Tsitsivas,
             haral@unisol.com
             UniSolutions Associates
             Voice: (213) 542-0068,  Fax:   (213) 370-4024

        2.   A book:

                Unix System Administration Handbook
                Nemeth, Snyder, Seebass
                Prentice-Hall

             which was recommended by more than one person. Not only is it
             said to be good but the shell scripts in the book (and other
             related shell scripts?) are ftp'able from:

                Host: boulder.colorado.edu   (128.138.240.1)
                Location: /pub/sa-book/sudo
                FILE      rw-r--r--      8215  Mar 27  1990   sudo.c
                FILE      rw-r--r--      1571  Sep 27  1989   sudo.8

                Host: emx.utexas.edu   (128.83.1.33)
                Location: /pub/mnt/source/doc/sa-book/sudo
                FILE      rw-r--r--      1571  Sep 27  1989   sudo.8
                Location: /pub/mnt/source/doc/sa-book/sudo
                FILE      rw-r--r--      8215  Mar 27  1990   sudo.c

             Thanks to Ed Wright <edw@sequent.com> in particular for this.

        3.   Mark Verber <verber@pacific.mps.ohio-state.edu> says:

             "I started to build such a beast but ended up giving up on
             the project. I concluded that it was more useful to teach
             the student to be responsible. We had a operators guide
             whose last chapter was entitled "How Not to Embarrass
             Yourself" which details dumb things people have done."

             but nevertheless he makes available:

             "...the beginings of an opr shell.  The opr shell was
             modeled after the OPR program under TOPS-20 on DECsystem-20s.
             A tops-20 like parse is still up for anonymous ftp on one
             of the machine in columbia.edu.  [We used our own package
             at the time. I quickly converted the code this morning to
             their interface.]"

             It would be best to get Mark to make his code available if
             anyone is interested. (I have not yet tried it, anyway.)

Note also the article in comp.unix.shell and comp.unix.admin:

  Subject: SUMMARY:  Software to manage user accounts
     From: sheryl@seas.gwu.edu

which discusses responses Sheryl received for a different but related
question.

--
 Dan Shearer                            email: Dan.Shearer@lux.sait.edu.au
 Computer Centre                        Phone: +61 8 343 3479

sfreed@ariel.unm.edu (Steven Freed CIRT) (06/13/91)

In article <16460.2854a215@levels.sait.edu.au>, ccdps@levels.sait.edu.au writes:
> Here is a summary of replies to my posting, which was:
>
> > Subject: Simple to use operator's control system?

I did not see the original posting but here at UNM we have a rather complete
program we call opermenu which is a memu driven interface for the opers. The
main menu looks like this (at the moment)

           ****** Operator Command Menu ******

 1 - Exit this procedure.               11 - Edit the message of the day.
 2 - System shutdown procedure.         12 - Change the password for oper.
 3 - List processes.                    13 - Show free space on disks.
 4 - Kill a process.                    14 - Show last dump dates.
 5 - Play with the printers.            15 - Run disk to tape backups.
 6 - List users.                        16 - Change the status of the games.
 7 - Talk to a user.                    17 - Run Accounting.
 8 - Send a message to all users.       18 - Set mag tape access.
 9 - Send mail.                         19 - Reset the date.
10 - Read mail.                         20 - Reroute a printer.
                                        21 - Redisplay this menu.
Enter command ==>

Not everything is implemented at this time and it is in the process of
being written in X but the sources are around here. If anyone is interested,
I could gather the sources up, add a bit of documentation and ship
it out. It currently runs on Ultrix, Dynix, SunOS, BSD 4.[23] and I *think*
we have one that runs on VMS, but shouldn't be held to that untill I have
time to check.

--

Steve.                    sfreed@ariel.unm.edu

silverio@cass.ma02.bull.com (Brian Silverio) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun13.023805.15327@ariel.unm.edu> sfreed@ariel.unm.edu writes:

>I did not see the original posting but here at UNM we have a rather complete
>program we call opermenu which is a memu driven interface for the opers. The
>main menu looks like this (at the moment)
>
>           ****** Operator Command Menu ******
>
> 1 - Exit this procedure.               11 - Edit the message of the day.
** deleted to save bandwidth **
>Enter command ==>
>
>Not everything is implemented at this time and it is in the process of
>being written in X but the sources are around here. If anyone is interested,
>I could gather the sources up, add a bit of documentation and ship
>it out. It currently runs on Ultrix, Dynix, SunOS, BSD 4.[23] and I *think*
>we have one that runs on VMS, but shouldn't be held to that untill I have
>time to check.

I am interested.  This looks like what we are trying to start developing
here.  Please post it or make it available to the world.
Thanks in advance.
Brian

anselmo-ed@cs.yale.edu (Ed Anselmo) (06/14/91)

At Yale, the "operator" program presents you with a similar menu:

Menu for operator.

 0.     Exit this Menu.
 1.     Start Daily Dump.
 2.     Start Daily Dump to Alternate Tape Drive.
 3.     Start Weekend Dump.
 4.     Start Weekend Dump to Alternate Tape Drive.
 5.     Control Printer Queues.
 6.     Remove Job(s) From Printer Queues.
 7.     Reboot System.
 8.     Halt System.
 9.     Enter UserDataBase.
10.     Build User Accounts.
11.     Delete User Account.
12.     Terminate A Process.
13.     Write To All Users Logged On This Machine.
14.     Set Date & Time.
15.     Alter Priority of Process.
16.     Rebuild UserDataBase Alias Files.
17.     Remove IPC Resources.

Enter Option Number:

runs setuid root, executable only by members of group "operator", with
appropriate ifdefs for SunOS, IBM 4.3, Dynix, Encore umax 4.3, and
ultrix.  Logs all usage to /usr/adm/WizardLog.
--
Ed Anselmo   anselmo-ed@cs.yale.edu   {harvard,cmcl2}!yale!anselmo-ed

sfreed@ariel.unm.edu (Steven Freed CIRT) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun13.023805.15327@ariel.unm.edu> sfreed@ariel.unm.edu writes:
> >  ..that he has some sources......

Ok, folks, due to *very* popular demand, I will gather the sources together,
write a little file that explains a bit how it all goes together, and
post them here sometime this weekend. I will also make them available
via anon ftp.

Stay tuned for the sources....

P.S.
The VMS version (I know, naughty word here ;-) is written in DCL, if
anyone is interested, send me email.

--

Steve.                    sfreed@ariel.unm.edu