[comp.unix.admin] Have Convergent 6300 CTIX 3.2 need CPP.

news@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU (Six o'clock News) (06/03/91)

is an FTP site site in the US would someone let me know.  I'm in the process
of porting GCC over to my machine.
From: ttam@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Tony Tam)

	Thanks
	Alex

P.S. As an aside, what do I need to get a complete 'working' C compiler GCC?
onto my system.  Do I need the GAS, GDB ... I have a 68010 chip in my system
with 512K  of RAM.

P.S.S. Any one has a Convergent Technology 6300 that understands how to upgrade
it.  I need more memory and a bigger (or a second) hard drive.

P.S.S. How do I back-up a complete hard disk.  Boot track and all. Cpio only
back-up the files.

thad@public.BTR.COM (Thaddeus P. Floryan) (06/17/91)

In article <13946@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> ttam@cory.Berkeley.EDU I need the sources to a C preprocessor that uses only 8 characters writes:
>is an FTP site site in the US would someone let me know.  I'm in the process
>of porting GCC over to my machine.
>[...]
>P.S. As an aside, what do I need to get a complete 'working' C compiler GCC?
>onto my system.  Do I need the GAS, GDB ... I have a 68010 chip in my system
>with 512K  of RAM.
>
>P.S.S. Any one has a Convergent Technology 6300 that understands how to upgrade
>it.  I need more memory and a bigger (or a second) hard drive.
>
>P.S.S. How do I back-up a complete hard disk.  Boot track and all. Cpio only
>back-up the files.

You should check-out the comp.sys.3b1 newsgroup.  Your system, actually the
Motorola 6300, was manufactured by Convergent Technologies for Motorola; a
logically-identical system is the 3B1 mfd. for AT&T; and the Convergent Tech
MiniFrame *IS* the same as the Motorola 6300.

GCC has already been ported to the 3B1, and I (recall having) had no problems
getting it running on either my 6300 or 6350 (two HDs).  The 3B1 version at
Ohio State (uucp via osu-cis, ftp at cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu [128.146.8.62],
in the att7300 directory (the 3B1 is aka UNIXPC and PC7300)) "may" be using
the shared libraries (which aren't available on the 6300), but all the tm-*
and xm-* files for the 3B1 "should" allow you to recompile gcc no sweat.

I've changed the "followup" to comp.sys.3b1 and sent email to `ttam' with more
info (esp. regarding the Bay Area users' group).

Thad Floryan [ thad@btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]