[comp.unix.admin] Roll Your Own Name Service

Startup@cup.portal.com (Startup Consulting Company) (06/15/91)

I'm curious about approaches that are used
to create name services under UNIX.  Are Sun's
White/Yellow pages the only widely used standard?
If you were trying to get a list of all the users on
all UNIX machines in a well-defined Internet, how would you
do it if some users were using white/yellow pages, others
were using OSF's directory service, etc.?

Dave

gs26@prism.gatech.EDU (Glenn R. Stone) (06/17/91)

In <43320@cup.portal.com> Startup@cup.portal.com (Startup Consulting Company) writes:

>If you were trying to get a list of all the users on
>all UNIX machines in a well-defined Internet, how would you
>do it if some users were using white/yellow pages, others
>were using OSF's directory service, etc.?

And anyone who really believes that this is legit should
have his or her head examined...  I know, I'll set up a
telephone shrink service.  Lessee, how about

           1-900-BIG-HOLE

Feh.

Glenn R. Stone (gs26@prism.gatech.edu) speaking for himself