[comp.unix.admin] Internet for the Completely Ignorant

mark@hermesa.uucp (Mark McWiggins) (06/13/91)

I'm not *completely* ignorant, but I've been a uucp-only Usenet user for
some years, and my organization now has an Internet number.  We're unsure
of all our options and would generally like background on the setup of
the Internet, etc.

Can you recommend a book or other information resource for somebody
in this position?  Thanks in advance.

--
Mark McWiggins
mark@hermesa.uucp

oliver@athena.mit.edu (James D. Oliver III) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun12.194021.2478@hermesa.uucp> mark@hermesa.uucp (Mark McWiggins) wrote:
> Can you recommend a book or other information resource for somebody
> in this position?

After reading the net for a bit, some might venture that "Internet is for
the Completely Ignorant".

:-)

--
____________________________
	Jim Oliver

jgabriel@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Ing. J. Gabriel Ruiz P.) (06/14/91)

mark@hermesa.uucp (Mark McWiggins) writes:

>Can you recommend a book or other information resource for somebody
>in this position?  Thanks in advance.

   There is a book named ''The Matrix'', is a very good guide about
 many networks, and has a good explanation about Internet, I don't
 remeber now the editor, but is a well know book.

--
Juan Gabriel Ruiz Pinto                   Internet:
Ing. Sistemas Electronicos                jgabriel@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx

meyer@deadzone.uucp (Doron Meyer) (06/15/91)

A great place to start is _The Matrix_ by John S. Quarterman.  It describes
all sorts of different networks, and differentiates between them.  It'll
tell you all you want to know and more, plus provide pointers to more
information.

alderson@alderson.stanford.edu (Rich Alderson) (06/15/91)

In article <1991Jun12.194021.2478@hermesa.uucp>, mark@hermesa (Mark McWiggins) writes:
>I'm not *completely* ignorant, but I've been a uucp-only Usenet user for
>some years, and my organization now has an Internet number.  We're unsure
>of all our options and would generally like background on the setup of
>the Internet, etc.
>
>Can you recommend a book or other information resource for somebody
>in this position?  Thanks in advance.

I would recommend that you obtain Internet RFC 1118 ("The Hitchhikers Guide to the Internet") and perhaps RFC 1180 ("TCP/IP tutorial").
--
Rich Alderson   'I wish life was not so short,' he thought.  'Languages take
Tops-20 Mgr.    such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about.'

bcs@waikato.ac.nz (06/19/91)

jgabriel@mtecv2.mty.itesm.mx (Ing. J. Gabriel Ruiz P.) writes:
> mark@hermesa.uucp (Mark McWiggins) writes:
>
>>Can you recommend a book or other information resource for somebody
>>in this position?  Thanks in advance.
>
>    There is a book named ''The Matrix'', is a very good guide about
>  many networks, and has a good explanation about Internet, I don't
>  remeber now the editor, but is a well know book.

Try "The Matrix: Computer Networks and Conferencing Systems Worldwide"
The man's name is Quarterman, as in "BSD", the publisher is Digital Press,
the year is 1990.

Have fun,
          Brent

--
|    "Laugh and the world ignores you.  Crying doesn't help either."     |