[comp.unix.admin] DAT and 8mm: practical experiences

cbs@cs.cmu.edu (Clauss Strauch) (06/17/91)

	I've seen the hype and some of the technical data comparing 8mm to
4mm tape drives, but would like to hear people's practical experiences with
the two media.  Specifically:
		-- Experiences with reliablity, both for the drives and
	           the media (how well do the tapes hold up to repeated
                   use/abuse?).

		-- The 90m (2 GB w/o compression) DAT drives are available,
                   but are the drives and media as reliable as the lower-
		   capacity ones?  It seems like just a short while ago
		   the 90m tapes were bleeding edge.

		-- Anything else that gets left out of the advertising
		   blurbs and technical specifications, but might cause a
		   sysadmin to prefer one technology over the other.

                                       -- Clauss Strauch
                                          Engineering Design Research Center
                                          Carnegie Mellon University
                                          cbs@edrc.cmu.edu

rden@rden.gen.nz (Robert den Hartog) (06/29/91)

In article <1991Jun17.024733.3999@cs.cmu.edu> cbs@cs.cmu.edu (Clauss Strauch) writes:

>	I've seen the hype and some of the technical data comparing 8mm to
>4mm tape drives, but would like to hear people's practical experiences with
>the two media.  Specifically:
>		-- Experiences with reliablity, both for the drives and
>	           the media (how well do the tapes hold up to repeated
>                   use/abuse?).
 [...]
>               -- Anything else that gets left out of the advertising
>		   blurbs and technical specifications, but might cause a
>		   sysadmin to prefer one technology over the other.

We have 1 exabyte unit away for head replacement after just under 2 years
service.  Usage is about 3 hours/day for 5 days/week.  (1 daily backup
with verify.)

We asked our supplier if 2 years was reasonable, apparently they got the
word back from Exabyte that 2-3 years is all that's expected from the heads.
(I can't fully guarantee the authenticity of that quote.)  Apprently longer
life heads are being investigated.

But new heads every 2 1/2 years is not cheap, nor very settling.  (Apparently
when the unit comes back it may have trouble reading/writing tapes recently
created before the unit went away.)  If you're unit needs cleaning often,
start saving (or check your maintenance agreement.)

The repair is a 1 month, 1 week or 2 day turnaround depending on how much
you eant to pay.

Any info on DAT head life?

As to tapes, the usual: avoid sunlight and heat.  One supplier even told us
to only buy tapes in winter (in case they sit in the delivery truck for too
long on a hot summer day.)
--
The spelling mistakes aren't mine, they're the computers.
Hey, have a nice one.

Sorry, just me again, I seem to have lost my EOF somewhere.  Aha, there it is