[comp.unix.admin] Giving users access to CDROM

jc@raven.bu.edu (James Cameron) (07/01/91)

System: SunOS 4.1.1 on SparcStation 2 with a CDROM

Problem: The cdrom needs to be used by general users.  However,
	 mount and umount can only be used by root, regardless
	 of the file attributes.  So, can someone show me how
	 to make simple setuid and setgid programs to solve
	 such dilemma?

Thank you for your time and efforts.

James

--
					-- James Cameron  (jc@raven.bu.edu)

Signal Processing and Interpretation Lab.  Boston, Mass  (617) 353-2879
"But to risk we must, for the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.  For
the man or woman who risks nothing, has nothing, does nothing, is nothing."
	(Quote from the eulogy for the late Christa McAuliffe.)

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J Eric Townsend) (07/01/91)

In article <JC.91Jun30161309@condor.bu.edu> jc@raven.bu.edu (James Cameron) writes:
>System: SunOS 4.1.1 on SparcStation 2 with a CDROM
>Problem: The cdrom needs to be used by general users.  However,
>	 mount and umount can only be used by root, regardless
>	 of the file attributes.  So, can someone show me how
>	 to make simple setuid and setgid programs to solve
>	 such dilemma?

Why not either:
0.  Use the automounter (I haven't tried it with cdrom, bt should work);
1.  Leave the CD mounted all the time;
2.  Buy a jukebox, they're only $1200 or so from Young Minds...

--
J. Eric Townsend - jet@uh.edu - bitnet: jet@UHOU - vox: (713) 749-2126
Systems Wrangler, University of Houston Department of Mathematics

jc@raven.bu.edu (James Cameron) (07/01/91)

|> In article <JC.91Jun30161309@condor.bu.edu> jc@raven.bu.edu (James Cameron) writes:
>System: SunOS 4.1.1 on SparcStation 2 with a CDROM
>Problem: The cdrom needs to be used by general users.  However,
>	 mount and umount can only be used by root, regardless
>	 of the file attributes.  So, can someone show me how
>	 to make simple setuid and setgid programs to solve
>	 such dilemma?

|> Why not either:
|> 0.  Use the automounter (I haven't tried it with cdrom, bt should work);
|> 1.  Leave the CD mounted all the time;
|> 2.  Buy a jukebox, they're only $1200 or so from Young Minds...

|> --
|> J. Eric Townsend - jet@uh.edu - bitnet: jet@UHOU - vox: (713) 749-2126

	All the above solution do not work (I don't think the automounter
	does, but i have not tried it yet) simply because my users
	need the ability to use multiple cd's. It is *not* solely for
	playing music.

James