[comp.unix.sysv286] VGA Under V/AT

sjb@dalek.UUCP (Seth J. Bradley) (09/19/90)

So long as I stick to text only, can I use any PC graphics
adapter under V/AT 2.3, including the Hi-Res VGA boards?
If not, is there a driver available?
Thanks in advance!
--
Seth J. Bradley   Path: {uunet}!iwarp.intel.com!dalek!sjb

duc@uport.UUCP (Richard Ducoty) (09/22/90)

sjb@dalek.UUCP (Seth J. Bradley) writes:

>So long as I stick to text only, can I use any PC graphics
>adapter under V/AT 2.3, including the Hi-Res VGA boards?
>If not, is there a driver available?
>Thanks in advance!
========================

If you can set it up as an ega board you might be able to use it -
the closer you come to appearing like ega hardware the beter.

A vga driver for V/AT is on the list of improvements for V/AT -
also the ability to use >1024 cylinders on a hard drive.
I can't give you a time frame for these though - sorry.  Versions
3.2 and 4 are getting most of the attention right now.

Richard

--
Richard Ducoty                    ..uunet!claris!netcom!uport!rduc
Microport Inc.

ruiu@dragos.uucp (dragos) (09/24/90)

In article <99@dalek.UUCP> sjb@dalek.UUCP (Seth J. Bradley) writes:
>So long as I stick to text only, can I use any PC graphics
>adapter under V/AT 2.3, including the Hi-Res VGA boards?
>If not, is there a driver available?

  I only tried it with a Compaq VGA running V/AT 2.3 about two years ago.
  The system worked fine, but the VGA was not reset into text mode after
  boot, so consequently nothing could be seen on the screen. Serial terminals
  worked though.

--
Dragos Ruiu (ruiu@dragos.uucp)               Copyright(c) 1990 Dragos Ruiu
uunet!myrias!dragos!ruiu