[comp.unix.sysv286] Getty

fred@seer.uucp (Glen Collins) (09/30/90)

Hello!

		Is there a GETTY that will work with microports V/AT? I picked
one up but it won't enev get a login prompt. Has ANYONE compiled one that will
work? Also, has ANYONE gotten P-comm to work on V/AT also? It has troble accessing
the TTY.

Thanks,

 		Glen Collins
		(uunet{unisoft,seeker}!seer!fred)

rbj@druhi.ATT.COM (JorgensenR) (10/02/90)

fred@seer.uucp writes:
> Is there a GETTY that will work with microports V/AT?  Also, has ANYONE
> gotten P-comm to work on V/AT also? It has troble accessing the TTY.

I'm running uPort V/AT 2.4.0 (I think), and the getty distributed with the
system works fine.  I have no experience with P-comm, but I would guess
that your problem is either cabling or terminal setup, since neither getty
or P-comm seem to work.  If you're not getting a login prompt from getty, then
you can check a couple of things:
	1) do a 'ps' to make sure getty is actually running on the port
	2) check your terminal options and gettydefs to make sure they match
	3) if all else fails, you can check the basic tty-to-host connectivity
		by turning the getty off, and typing characters to the terminal
		with 'cat > /dev/tty??' (whichever tty you are working with).
		You may have to mess around with the baud rate, but there is
		a description of how to do this in your manuals somewhere --
		maybe the uucp section.

Russ Jorgensen
AT&T Bell Laboratories
Denver, CO

fred@seer.uucp (Glen Collins) (10/05/90)

Hello again...

	I may have forgotten to mention that the STOCK getty work fine, but
I would like to have root be able to login from any TTY or virtual console.
And since microport has no patch to allow that I'm trying to find a getty
to replace the stock.

-Glen Collins (uunet!{unisoft,seeker}!seer!fred)

ken@metaware.metaware.com (ken) (10/08/90)

In article <601@seer.UUCP> fred@seer.uucp (Glen Collins) writes:
>Hello again...
>
>	I may have forgotten to mention that the STOCK getty work fine, but
>I would like to have root be able to login from any TTY or virtual console.
>And since microport has no patch to allow that I'm trying to find a getty
>to replace the stock.

Glen,

You probably wont be able to do that. Some of the limited login stuff that
Microport did was implememted in the getty and login program. There was also
some stuff done in the kernel for that, specifically in the mem module.
This is the two user versus unlimited user package stuff that I'm talking
about.

In article <609@metaware.metaware.com> ken@metaware.UUCP (ken) writes:
>In article <601@seer.UUCP> fred@seer.uucp (Glen Collins) writes:
>>Hello again...
>>
>>	I may have forgotten to mention that the STOCK getty work fine, but
>>I would like to have root be able to login from any TTY or virtual console.
>>And since microport has no patch to allow that I'm trying to find a getty
>>to replace the stock.
>
>You probably wont be able to do that. Some of the limited login stuff that
>Microport did was implememted in the getty and login program. There was also
>some stuff done in the kernel for that, specifically in the mem module.
>This is the two user versus unlimited user package stuff that I'm talking
>about.

Incorrect.

You CANNOT replace the getty that Uport provides, but you CAN supplement it.

Leave the standard getty running on at least one terminal (note: this is
VERY important or the system will not come up!)

Add your other getty program as, say, /etc/autobaud, and run that on
everything else.  Works like a champ.

I did this a looong time ago with 1.3.6 - 2.x, and it all worked just
peachy.  You see, I dislike having people hit <break> to autobaud; I think
they should hit <return>.  We replaced login also, that was no big deal
either.  Both worked just like one would expect.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 808-7300], Voice: [+1 708 808-7200]