[comp.unix.sysv286] Problem with time

fred@seer.uucp (Glen Collins) (11/06/90)

I am running microport V/AT v2.4 and I'm having a problem with Smail and
uucp. When uucp and Smail are run from cron(uucp) it thinks that i'm on
the east coast (time wise). Is this a problem with my enviroment when
cron runs it or is the problem with cron or what? I would like accurate
logs of all transfers. When I do run uucp/uucico manually the time
is correct. Have any others had this problem.

-Glen Collins (uunet!{unisoft,seeker}!seer!fred)

engelsma@buster.cps.msu.edu (Engelsma Jonathan) (11/08/90)

In article <678@seer.UUCP> fred@seer.uucp (Glen Collins) writes:
>I am running microport V/AT v2.4 and I'm having a problem with Smail and
>uucp. When uucp and Smail are run from cron(uucp) it thinks that i'm on
>the east coast (time wise). Is this a problem with my enviroment when
>cron runs it or is the problem with cron or what? I would like accurate
>logs of all transfers. When I do run uucp/uucico manually the time
>is correct. Have any others had this problem.

As long as we are talking about problems with time... I also have a
problem.   The system time appears to be an hour fast every 24 hours
of running.  The battery backed time on my AT is correct.  Since I
poll other machines on the hour it is kind of a pain.  I am
running uport V/AT v2.4.

Has anybody else experienced this problem.  If so, is there a remedy?

Thanks in advance.
Jonathan

Jonathan R. Engelsma                            Michigan State University
                                                     Department of
E-mail:   engelsma@buster.cps.msu.edu               Computer Science
	  uunet!frith!engelsma
	  uunet!frith!jresys!engelsma (home)

jmaynard@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu (Jay Maynard) (11/08/90)

In article <678@seer.UUCP> fred@seer.uucp (Glen Collins) writes:
>I am running microport V/AT v2.4 and I'm having a problem with Smail and
>uucp. When uucp and Smail are run from cron(uucp) it thinks that i'm on
>the east coast (time wise). Is this a problem with my enviroment when
>cron runs it or is the problem with cron or what? I would like accurate
>logs of all transfers. When I do run uucp/uucico manually the time
>is correct. Have any others had this problem.

I had this one, too...the way I dealt with it was to add 'TZ=CST6CDT' to the
beginning of any command that cared about the time in the crontab file.

In article <1990Nov7.191619.1254@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> engelsma@buster.cps.msu.edu (Engelsma Jonathan) writes:
>As long as we are talking about problems with time... I also have a
>problem.   The system time appears to be an hour fast every 24 hours
>of running.  The battery backed time on my AT is correct.  Since I
>poll other machines on the hour it is kind of a pain.  I am
>running uport V/AT v2.4.

I had this problem too. There's a kernel variable, 'clocktic', that you can
patch to change the speed of the clock. Note that you'll never get it exactly
right, since the clock counter will vary based on the system load, but you can
at least get it close. What I did was set it to be slightly slow, and then add
a line to root's crontab that did 'date `/etc/setup -d`' every hour.

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jmaynard@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu  | adequately be explained by stupidity.

tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) (11/08/90)

In <4294@lib.tmc.edu> jmaynard@thesis1.hsch.utexas.edu (Jay Maynard) writes:

>In article <678@seer.UUCP> fred@seer.uucp (Glen Collins) writes:
>In article <1990Nov7.191619.1254@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> engelsma@buster.cps.msu.edu (Engelsma Jonathan) writes:
>>As long as we are talking about problems with time... I also have a
>>problem.   The system time appears to be an hour fast every 24 hours
>>of running.

This is clearly documented in the 2.4 Release Notes:

	If your clock seems to be running slowly, you should patch
	the clocktic variable in the kernel.  Lower values will speed
	up the UNIX clock.  The command to adjust the clock is
	patch /system5 clocktic <number>.  <number> differs depending
	on the manufacturer of your machine.  Some trial values are:
	19885 (0x4DAD for some IBM systems), 20499 (0x5013 for a
	10MHz Acer AT), or 19824 (0x4D70) for an 8MHz NCR PCA).  You
	will need to experiment for particular hardware.

NOTE:  The 'patch' command called for in these instructions is not the
Public Domain 'patch' but rather Microport's /etc/patch.
--
UUCP:		{rutgers|ames|uunet}!mimsy!woodb!fallst!tkevans
INTERNET:	tkevans%fallst@wb3ffv.ampr.org

duc@mport.COM (Richard Ducoty) (11/09/90)

>In article <678@seer.UUCP> fred@seer.uucp (Glen Collins) writes:

>>I am running microport V/AT v2.4 and I'm having a problem with Smail and
>>uucp. When uucp and Smail are run from cron(uucp) it thinks that i'm on
>>the east coast (time wise). Is this a problem with my enviroment when
>>cron runs it or is the problem with cron or what? I would like accurate
>>logs of all transfers. When I do run uucp/uucico manually the time
>>is correct. Have any others had this problem.

====================================

What is your TZ environment variable set to?

try:  echo $TZ

it should say something like:
				PST8PDT

You can set TZ in the /etc/profile file if it needs to be changed
this works for sh and ksh .   I'm not very familiar with csh - would
you put it in the .login file?

		Richard Ducoty

Richard Ducoty		         (*)(*)				duc@mport.COM
Microport Inc.		            \				uunet!mport!duc
voice=> (408) 438-8649	            <	 		  fax=> (408) 438-7560