[comp.unix.sysv286] UNIX: Do I need/want it? Which one should I get?

camelsho@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Raouls Used CamlShop) (02/12/91)

I just got a Scepter 286 with 40meg and vga monochrome.
I've got a few questions and did not know where else to
post them.

I'm more used to unix than dos, but am not sure if I need/want
to go to unix.  I currently have Borland's Turbo Pascal 5.5,
Turbo C++, and Turbo Debugger and Tools.  Would these (among
others) programs have a problem away from the MSDOS environment?

With 40 meg, do I really need unix?

And if so, what unix or unix-clone should I get?  I keep seeing
ads for Coherent in COMPUTER SHOPPER.  The price is certainly
attractive enough.  Any comments?

Thanks,
james seymour
camelsho@matt.ksu.ksu.edu

kim@bilby.cs.uwa.oz.au (Kim Shearer) (02/12/91)

In <1991Feb11.232246.21085@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> camelsho@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Raouls Used CamlShop) writes:

>I just got a Scepter 286 with 40meg and vga monochrome.
>I've got a few questions and did not know where else to
>post them.

>I'm more used to unix than dos, but am not sure if I need/want
>to go to unix.  I currently have Borland's Turbo Pascal 5.5,
>Turbo C++, and Turbo Debugger and Tools.  Would these (among
>others) programs have a problem away from the MSDOS environment?

>With 40 meg, do I really need unix?

>And if so, what unix or unix-clone should I get?  I keep seeing
>ads for Coherent in COMPUTER SHOPPER.  The price is certainly
>attractive enough.  Any comments?

>Thanks,
>james seymour
>camelsho@matt.ksu.ksu.edu

 Turbo lets you do many things you wont get away with on Unix.
 Just how cheap in Coherent ?