[comp.unix.sysv286] elm can't find vi

engelsma@cpsin3.cps.msu.edu (Engelsma Jonathan) (03/27/91)

I recently got elm (2.3) running under Microport Unix SysV/AT (2.4).
Most of the time it works just fine.  However sometimes when I send
mail I get the error message "Can't invoke editor '/usr/bin/vi' for
composition".   Has anybody else experienced a problem like this?
Any suggestions?  It seems strange that sometimes I can send mail
with no problems, and other times this error occurs.

Thanks,
Jon

Jonathan R. Engelsma                            Michigan State University
                                                     Department of
E-mail:   engelsma@cps.msu.edu                      Computer Science
	  uunet!frith!engelsma
	  uunet!frith!jresys!engelsma (home)

sean@utoday.com (Sean Fulton) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar27.033728.21388@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> engelsma@cpsin3.cps.msu.edu (Engelsma Jonathan) writes:

>I recently got elm (2.3) running under Microport Unix SysV/AT (2.4).
>Most of the time it works just fine.  However sometimes when I send
>mail I get the error message "Can't invoke editor '/usr/bin/vi' for
>composition".   Has anybody else experienced a problem like this?
>Any suggestions?  It seems strange that sometimes I can send mail
>with no problems, and other times this error occurs.

We have the same problem with ELM on SCO Unix 3.2.2 Help!

--
Sean Fulton					sean@utoday.com
UNIX Today!					(516) 562-5430

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (03/28/91)

sean@utoday.com (Sean Fulton) writes:
>In article <1991Mar27.033728.21388@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> engelsma@cpsin3.cps.msu.edu (Engelsma Jonathan) writes:
>>
>>I recently got elm (2.3) running under Microport Unix SysV/AT (2.4).
>>Most of the time it works just fine.  However sometimes when I send
>>mail I get the error message "Can't invoke editor '/usr/bin/vi' for
>>composition".   Has anybody else experienced a problem like this?
>>Any suggestions?  It seems strange that sometimes I can send mail
>>with no problems, and other times this error occurs.
>>
>We have the same problem with ELM on SCO Unix 3.2.2 Help!
You obviously aren't up to date on the patches.  Long ago
we gave up on ever expecting to be able to believe the return
codes vi gives,  (VI is broken) and on the shell handling interrupts
correctly.

Current version is 2.3 PL11.
Datacomp Systems, Inc.                          Voice: (215) 947-9900
syd@DSI.COM or dsinc!syd                        FAX:   (215) 938-0235

jpm@logixwi.uucp (Jan-Piet Mens @ Logix GmbH, Wiesbaden) (03/28/91)

In article <1991Mar27.150838.28634@utoday.com> sean@utoday.com (Sean Fulton) writes:
>In article <1991Mar27.033728.21388@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> engelsma@cpsin3.cps.msu.edu (Engelsma Jonathan) writes:
>>
>>I recently got elm (2.3) running under Microport Unix SysV/AT (2.4).
>>Most of the time it works just fine.  However sometimes when I send
>>mail I get the error message "Can't invoke editor '/usr/bin/vi' for
>>composition".   Has anybody else experienced a problem like this?
>>Any suggestions?  It seems strange that sometimes I can send mail
>>with no problems, and other times this error occurs.
>>
>We have the same problem with ELM on SCO Unix 3.2.2 Help!

We have ELM 2.3 Patchlevel 6 running on SCO Unix 3.2.2, and have not
yet encountered the problem.

--
Jan-Piet Mens, Logix GmbH				    jpm@logixwi.UUCP
Moritzstr. 50, D-6200 Wiesbaden            ...!uunet!mcsun!unido!logixwi!jpm

rob@mtdiablo.Concord.CA.US (Rob Bernardo) (03/28/91)

engelsma@cpsin3.cps.msu.edu (Engelsma Jonathan) wrote:

>I recently got elm (2.3) running under Microport Unix SysV/AT (2.4).
>Most of the time it works just fine.  However sometimes when I send
>mail I get the error message "Can't invoke editor '/usr/bin/vi' for
>composition".   Has anybody else experienced a problem like this?
>Any suggestions?  It seems strange that sometimes I can send mail
>with no problems, and other times this error occurs.

You have one of those brain-damaged vi's that exits with non-zero when
no real error has occurred. Remedy: write a shell wrapper around vi that
always exits with 0 and use that as you editor in elm.

I understand this problem will be remedied in the next version of elm;
it will ignore the exit value of the invoked editor and only pronounce
failure if the exec fails.
--
Rob Bernardo					Mt. Diablo Software Solutions
email: rob@mtdiablo.Concord.CA.US		phone: (415) 827-4301

syd@DSI.COM (Syd Weinstein) (03/29/91)

rob@mtdiablo.Concord.CA.US (Rob Bernardo) writes:
>I understand this problem will be remedied in the next version of elm;
>it will ignore the exit value of the invoked editor and only pronounce
>failure if the exec fails.
Sorry Bob, it was remidied in one of the patches to 2.3.  All that
is needed is to use the current 2.3 (PL11)