[comp.unix.sysv286] UNIX for 286

root@espuma.UUCP (The Root of it All) (06/11/91)

      Is there any version of UNIX for the '286 that has any kind of DOS
emulation on it.

hedrick@athos.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) (06/11/91)

>      Is there any version of UNIX for the '286 that has any kind of DOS
>emulation on it.

Microport SV/AT supports Merge/286.  That does a quite reasonable job
of running DOS applications.  The main limit is that you can have only
one DOS application active at a time.  (Of course there are the usual
issues about reliability with Microport Unix, but it does basically
work.)

nlane@well.sf.ca.us (Nathan D. Lane) (06/12/91)

In article <Jun.10.23.09.40.1991.173@athos.rutgers.edu> hedrick@athos.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) writes:
>>      Is there any version of UNIX for the '286 that has any kind of DOS
>>emulation on it.
>
>Microport SV/AT supports Merge/286.  That does a quite reasonable job
>of running DOS applications.  The main limit is that you can have only
>one DOS application active at a time.  (Of course there are the usual
>issues about reliability with Microport Unix, but it does basically
>work.)

AT&Ts system V for 286s has Merge/286 as well, with the same one dos
task limit.  I believe the version for AT&T was Sys V v2.3.  I saw
it running on a 6 MHz (!) AT&T 6300+ machine.  The user used it as
a DOS machine exclusively and basically destroyed the Unix system
by turning it off (fsck everytime it came on).

I'm also interested in Unix for 286s - what are the fees for Microport
sys V AT?  Anyone have any info on the version of Unix mentioned above?

Thanks in advance.

Nathan Lane
Digital Technology Service
Santa Barbara, CA
(805) 683-3760

Authorized Esix resellers.

alan@s5000.rsvl.unisys.com (Al Kiecker) (06/12/91)

In article <LXgc44w163w@espuma.UUCP>, root@espuma.UUCP (The Root of it All) writes:
>       Is there any version of UNIX for the '286 that has any kind of DOS
> emulation on it.

Yes. Microport System V/AT with DOSMERGE.

I thought that DOSMERGE was a very impressive package when I had a chance
to try it out.

My price list (may not be current) gives the following:

				2 users		unlimited users
				-------		---------------
V/AT runtime			$275		$550
V/AT complete system		$649		$898
  (includes software dev pkg & text preparation pkg)
V/AT DOSMERGE			$275		$275
V/AT software dev pkg		$330
V/AT text preparation pkg	$220

Microport can be reached at:
	30 Janis Way, Suite A
	Scotts Valley, CA 95066
	800-FOR-UNIX
	408-GET-UNIX
--
Al Kiecker				UUCP: 	alan@rsvl.unisys.com
UNISYS - Open Architecture & Products		uunet!s5000!alan