[comp.unix.sysv386] UNIX Driver for JUMBO Tape Backup

root@mjbtn.JOBSOFT.COM (Mark J. Bailey) (08/29/90)

In <3819@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US> enc@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (Erez N. Carmel) writes:

>I have a Colorado Memory Systems tape backup, which used to serve
>under DOS.  CMS does not seem to have a Unix driver available. Did
>anybody have any Unix success with this drive?  Can VPIX help?
>--
># As soon as I discover this, #  SAC-*NIX, Sacramento, Ca.  #
>#     I will change it!       # UUCP=..ames!pacbell!sactoh0 #
>########################default .sig#########################

I have been waiting for the Unix JUMBO drive drivers since the middle
of March!!!!!!!!  What *REALLY* hacks me off is how I have been calling
and calling and always, they have "kicked it back a couple more weeks
now!"  Well, 3 *WEEKS* ago, they called and said that they were ready
and taking orders (it is *NOT* free - I paid $99 for Xexix --> Unix
upgrade since I already had the JTAPE for Xenix - it is $199 for the
Unix drivers!!!).  I eagerly went ahead and ordered and gave them my
VISA.  It was supposed to ship FedEx.  I ordered on Monday.  By Friday,
nothing!  I called, and while the SCO portion was "solid", the ISC
portion was still buggy.  I asked why the hell they were so concerned
about combining the SCO and ISC drivers on the *same* disk! (???)
Not surprisingly, I have still heard nothing and we are going into
September.

Now, I *had* been pleased with my JUMBO drive.  I really like its
features.  But so far, after switching to Unix, it really has not
done me any good.  I have 900+ meg online.  I know I should have a
150 meg Archive or better.  But with JTAPE, you can get an average of 80-90
meg on a DC2120 (60 meg) tape with compression (I have a lot of
already compressed stuff stored).  The price difference is considerable.
But I am really fed up with the software engineers at CMS not being
able to get a simple driver produced (Actually, I know it is not
simple, but they have had a LONG time to work on it - after all, it
is not like they write accouting software too!).

I suppose I will just wait it out like a good little customer, but I
will not likely consider recommending a JUMBO drive to any of my clients
any time soon.  And I find that a real shame.

Mark.

--
Mark J. Bailey, N4XHX                   "We do our JOB, so you can do yours!"
USMAIL: 511 Memorial Blvd., Murfreesboro, TN 37129_______/====X11====\_______