[comp.unix.sysv386] Configuring Streams on 386/ix

In article <1990Aug29.135121.219@coyote.uucp> ejm@coyote.UUCP (E.J. McKernan) writes:
>How do I increase the number of /dev/pts entries to more than 16?
>I'm trying to run X11R4 here. All is well except that I need to open
>more xterms.

I haven't done this, but a look around says you need to do the following:

(I will use the number 24 for the examples.  You can use whatever you want)

	1. modify /etc/conf/sdevice.d/pty.  Change the 16 in column 3 to a
	   24 like the following:

		Old:	pty	Y	16	0....
		New:	pty	Y	24	0....

	2. Add the following lines to /etc/conf/node.d/pty

		pty	ptypg	c	16
		pty	ptyph	c	17
		pty	ptypi	c	18
		pty	ptypj	c	19
		pty	ptypk	c	20
		pty	ptypl	c	21
		pty	ptypm	c	22
		pty	ptypn	c	23
			 / \

			Pick the device names you desire

	3. Add the following line to /etc/conf/cf.d/mtune

		PTC_UNITS      	16	8	24

	4. add the following line to /etc/conf/cf.d/stune

		PTC_UNITS	24

	5. build the kernel, reboot & have fun

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

dougm@ico.isc.com (Doug McCallum) (08/31/90)

In article <1990Aug30.004527.5158@virtech.uucp> cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>In article <1990Aug29.135121.219@coyote.uucp> ejm@coyote.UUCP (E.J. McKernan) writes:
>>How do I increase the number of /dev/pts entries to more than 16?
>>I'm trying to run X11R4 here. All is well except that I need to open
>>more xterms.
>
>I haven't done this, but a look around says you need to do the following:
>
>(I will use the number 24 for the examples.  You can use whatever you want)
>
>	1. modify /etc/conf/sdevice.d/pty.  Change the 16 in column 3 to a
>	   24 like the following:

There are two different things being talked about here.  The original
question was on /dev/pts - STREAMS pty.  That may or may not have been the
intent.  For the STREAMS ptys, it should only require increasing the number
of ptem and ptm devices in the sdevice.d/ptem and sdevice.d/ptm files.
There are 16 to start.  While I haven't tried it, increasing the number
of units for those two devices should be sufficient.

You also need to update the node.d/pts file.  The names are a little
different than the other pty kinds of names.
	pts	pts016	c	16
	pts	pts017	c	17
the number is the three digit decimal number of the minor device with
leading zeros.

The STREAMS ptys work somewhat differently.  ptm is the master side
device, pts is the slave side and ptem is the pushable module that makes
it look like a tty low level driver.

The description provided for pty (non-STREAMS) should work as described
by Connor.

Doug McCallum
Interactive Systems Corp.
dougm@ico.isc.com