[comp.unix.sysv386] do you need sds to get cpp

In article <326@tslwat.UUCP> louk@tslwat.UUCP (Lou Kates) writes:
>We have a program whose input  is processed by the C preprocessor
>before the  program  reads it.  We have the Software  Development
>System option  on  our ISC UNIX System V.  If we distributed this
>program would the user need to have  the SDS too or does cpp come
>with the base Interactive product?

Cpp is part of the SDS, not part of the base OS.

I was about to suggest that you use m4 instead, but a quick look
shows that it too is part of the SDS.

Depending upon the complexity of the pre-processing that you are
doing, you might want to grow your own version.

Or (the real answer):

You could distribute gcc-cpp (the c pre-processor that is part of gcc.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) (08/31/90)

In article <1990Aug30.225933.22731@virtech.uucp> cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>In article <326@tslwat.UUCP> louk@tslwat.UUCP (Lou Kates) writes:
>>[does cpp come with the base system]
>Cpp is part of the SDS, not part of the base OS.

On ISC Unix at least, the kernel config subset which comes with the base
system contains /lib/idcpp, which is the C preprocessor that the kernel
builder uses and is as far as I can tell the same as /bin/cpp.

Unless your version of Unix builds its kernel very differently from the way
that AT&T does I'd expect to find it on other versions as well.

--
John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 864 9650
johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {ima|spdcc|world}!esegue!johnl

In article <1990Aug31.032345.4910@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us> johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) writes:
>In article <1990Aug30.225933.22731@virtech.uucp> cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>>In article <326@tslwat.UUCP> louk@tslwat.UUCP (Lou Kates) writes:
>>>[does cpp come with the base system]
>>Cpp is part of the SDS, not part of the base OS.
>/lib/idcpp, which is the C preprocessor that the kernel builder uses...

This relies on the fact that the kernel configuration subset (for ISC,
similar type of package for others) be installed.  This is not
always the case (especially in multi-system environments where only
one system does any configurations and the kernel is propagated to the
other machines).

I still think thier best solution is to use the cpp from gcc and
distribute it with thier package (thier installation software can see if
there is another cpp lying around, and if so not install the the gcc-cpp).

                                                Sterling, VA 22170