[comp.unix.sysv386] Copying DOS files to SCO UNIX

amull@Morgan.COM (Andrew P. Mullhaupt) (08/31/90)

In article <1990Aug24.122452@hantsu.enet.dec.com>, smwong@hantsu.enet.dec.com (Stephen Wong) writes:
> In article <10558@uswat.UUCP>, chuck@uswat.UUCP (Chuck Luciano) writes:
> |>
> |>      Will SCO UNIX support a mountain filesafe qic-40 type tape drive?
>
> SCO UNIX supports QIC-40 compatible floppy controller type tape drive.

No way, man. I have a Mountain Filesafe tape drive and after much agony
was informed by Mountain that their tape drives are not supported for
SCO UNIX, only SCO Xenix. I have one and can't make it go at all to
prove the point.

Later,
Andrew Mullhaupt

wnp@iiasa.AT (wolf paul) (08/31/90)

In article <1635@sixhub.UUCP> davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
)| DOS-merge is generally better than VPIX, no flame please!!
)
)  Since I run both, I can tell you that the choice is clear, you run
)both. The performance of VP/ix is far better in graphics modes when
)running direct to the screen. Programs which write screen direct run
)much faster under VP/ix. On the other hand, when you want to run DOS in
)an X-window, a prime thing to do for me, you use merge.
)
)  I think I would use VP/ix if I had to choose, but they both have their
)strong points.

Is it possible to run both on the same system, i.e. can they both
co-exist under, say, ISC 386/ix 2.2?? And if so, where does one get
Merge for ISC?

--
Wolf N. Paul, IIASA, A - 2361 Laxenburg, Austria, Europe
PHONE: +43-2236-71521-465     FAX: +43-2236-71313      UUCP: uunet!iiasa.at!wnp

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) (09/01/90)

amull@Morgan.COM (Andrew P. Mullhaupt) writes:
| smwong@hantsu.enet.dec.com (Stephen Wong) writes:
| > SCO UNIX supports QIC-40 compatible floppy controller type tape drive.
| No way, man. I have a Mountain Filesafe tape drive and after much agony
| was informed by Mountain that their tape drives are not supported for
| SCO UNIX, only SCO Xenix...

Alas, folks, "QIC-40" isn't a spec for an interface between drive and
controller.  It's a data format on the tape itself.  As you're finding out
(i.e., as Mullhaupt is confirming for you), different drives have different
command sets, requirements, etc.

In the DOS world, things are simpler (in a perverse sort of way) because
you get the driver, and probably the utilities, that you need to match the
drive.

The situation with "floppy tape" drives is unfortunately rather confused.
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   ...I'm not cynical - just experienced.

jackv@turnkey.tcc.com (Jack F. Vogel) (09/02/90)

In article <865@iiasa.UUCP> wnp@iiasa.UUCP (wolf paul) writes:
>In article <1635@sixhub.UUCP> davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>)| DOS-merge is generally better than VPIX, no flame please!!

>Is it possible to run both on the same system, i.e. can they both
>co-exist under, say, ISC 386/ix 2.2?? And if so, where does one get
>Merge for ISC?                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sorry, the answer is nowhere, you can't get Locus' Merge for Interactive,
it requires a great deal of code in the kernel to support it. Locus did
the code in SCO's 3.2 kernel for Merge support. Now since VPiX is ISC's
own product I doubt very much whether they would be interested in providing
a competitor's product :-}.

Disclaimer: I don't speak for LCC.

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -

tim@delluk.uucp (Tim Wright) (09/03/90)

In <1990Sep01.192523.25958@turnkey.tcc.com> jackv@turnkey.tcc.com (Jack F. Vogel) writes:

>In article <865@iiasa.UUCP> wnp@iiasa.UUCP (wolf paul) writes:
>>In article <1635@sixhub.UUCP> davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>>)| DOS-merge is generally better than VPIX, no flame please!!

>>Is it possible to run both on the same system, i.e. can they both
>>co-exist under, say, ISC 386/ix 2.2?? And if so, where does one get
>>Merge for ISC?                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Sorry, the answer is nowhere, you can't get Locus' Merge for Interactive,
>it requires a great deal of code in the kernel to support it. Locus did
>the code in SCO's 3.2 kernel for Merge support. Now since VPiX is ISC's
>own product I doubt very much whether they would be interested in providing
>a competitor's product :-}.

The ISC kernel is based on AT&T source. This has -DMERGE as one of the options.
Is this relevant i.e. is the support already there ? Just curious.

Tim
--
Tim Wright, Unix Support               | Email: ...!ukc!delluk!tim
Dell Computer Corp. (UK), Bracknell    | (pending domain registration).

jackv@turnkey.tcc.com (Jack F. Vogel) (09/04/90)

In article <tim.652347896@holly> tim@delluk.uucp (Tim Wright) writes:
>In <1990Sep01.192523.25958@turnkey.tcc.com> jackv@turnkey.tcc.com (Jack F. Vogel) writes:

[....stuff about Merge unavailable for ISC deleted...]

>The ISC kernel is based on AT&T source. This has -DMERGE as one of the options.
>Is this relevant i.e. is the support already there ? Just curious.

Since I don't have access to the 3.2 source at the moment (its out there on our
network, but on a system I don't have an account on) I am not sure. Since Locus
did the AT&T product Simultask (sp?) it could be that that code is still in
the 3.2 source. Whether this is all the supporting code one requires is some-
thing I just don't know. Besides, very few people out there have the ability
to rebuild their kernels from source :-} :-}!! If you folks at Dell can do
this perhaps you should talk to the Locus marketing types about licensing
Merge as an optional package.

Disclaimer: Me speak for LCC?? Surely you jest :-}!

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -
Locus Computing Corp.		jackv@turnkey.TCC.COM

In article <tim.652347896@holly> tim@delluk.uucp (Tim Wright) writes:
>The ISC kernel is based on AT&T source. This has -DMERGE as one of the options.
>Is this relevant i.e. is the support already there ? Just curious.

The -DMERGE in the AT&T  source is used to indicate that the Xenix & Unix
"merged" code is to be compiled, not the presence for support of dos merge.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

palowoda@fiver (Bob Palowoda) (09/04/90)

From article <1990Sep03.190333.4313@turnkey.tcc.com>, by jackv@turnkey.tcc.com (Jack F. Vogel):
> Since I don't have access to the 3.2 source at the moment (its out there on our
> network, but on a system I don't have an account on) I am not sure. Since Locus
> did the AT&T product Simultask (sp?) it could be that that code is still in
> the 3.2 source.

  Are you sure it was Locus, I was under the impression that ISC did the
Simultask Product.

---Bob

--
Bob Palowoda   palowoda@fiver              |   *Home of Fiver BBS*
Home {sun}!ys2!fiver!palowoda              | 415-623-8809 1200/2400

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (09/04/90)

jackv@turnkey.tcc.com (Jack F. Vogel) writes:

>Sorry, the answer is nowhere, you can't get Locus' Merge for Interactive,
>it requires a great deal of code in the kernel to support it. Locus did
>the code in SCO's 3.2 kernel for Merge support. Now since VPiX is ISC's
>own product I doubt very much whether they would be interested in providing
>a competitor's product :-}.

As it turns out, SCO licenses VP/ix from Interactive (who developed VP/ix
with Phoenix) and makes it available for both Xenix and UNIX. They also,
as I understand it, license Lachman's TCP/IP, but Lachman is now part of
Kodak (as is Interactive). According to the ODT Release Notes, both Merge
and VP/ix can be supported. As far as ISC is concerned, however, I suspect
one IS limited to VP/ix alone, as Jack suggests.

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (09/05/90)

jackv@turnkey.tcc.com (Jack F. Vogel) writes:

>Since Locus
>did the AT&T product Simultask (sp?) it could be that that code is still in
>the 3.2 source.

	NO! Locus provided the DOS-under-UNIX functionality for AT&T's
early Simultask offering for the 286-based 6300 PLUS, but Simultask/386
is based on VP/ix from Interactive/Phoenix.