[comp.unix.sysv386] Are these ISC X11 problems fixed?

jonm@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Jonathan Meyer) (09/04/90)

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) writes:
> keyboard is not uniquely identifiable.  For instance, I'd like to bind
> the numeric keypad ENTER key differently than the main keyboard ENTER
> key.  This does not appear to be possible.

In fact, the two keys are hardwired to send the same scancode, so as
far as the PC is concerned they are identical. Sad, but true (I've
often wanted to distinguish them).

ej@kos.rci.dk (Erik W. Jeppesen) (09/05/90)

jonm@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Jonathan Meyer) writes:

>In fact, the two keys are hardwired to send the same scancode, so as
>far as the PC is concerned they are identical. Sad, but true (I've
>often wanted to distinguish them).

It is true that some clone keyboards have an ENTER key on the keypad
that is hard-wired to the main keyboard RETURN key.

However on a compatible extended keyboard they are distinguishable.
--
Erik W. Jeppesen          ej@rci.dk         +45 42 65 80 00
RC International, Lautrupbjerg 1, DK-2750 Ballerup, Denmark

jrh@mustang.dell.com (James Howard) (09/06/90)

In article <3388@syma.sussex.ac.uk>, jonm@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Jonathan
Meyer) writes:
 > ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) writes:
 > > keyboard is not uniquely identifiable.  For instance, I'd like to bind
 > > the numeric keypad ENTER key differently than the main keyboard ENTER
 > > key.  This does not appear to be possible.
 >
 > In fact, the two keys are hardwired to send the same scancode, so as
 > far as the PC is concerned they are identical. Sad, but true (I've
 > often wanted to distinguish them).

I don't believe that this last statement is true.  The V.4 sysadm can
and does distinguish between the two, as the two keys perform completely
different functions under the interface.

James Howard        Dell Computer Corp.        !'s:uunet!dell!mustang!jrh
(512) 343-3480      9505 Arboretum Blvd        @'s:jrh@mustang.dell.com
                    Austin, TX 78759-7299

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) (09/06/90)

In article <3388@syma.sussex.ac.uk> jonm@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Jonathan Meyer) writes:
>ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) writes:
>> keyboard is not uniquely identifiable.  For instance, I'd like to bind
>> the numeric keypad ENTER key differently than the main keyboard ENTER
>> key.  This does not appear to be possible.
>>

>In fact, the two keys are hardwired to send the same scancode, so as
>far as the PC is concerned they are identical. Sad, but true (I've
>often wanted to distinguish them).

Au contrare - I've done it.  The numeric keypad "enter" key sends two
scan codes for "press" and two for "release".  The first code is 224,
otherwise a "release" code for an undefined key.  The second is the
same scan code that the normal "enter" key.  By looking for the leading
special up-code, you can distinguish all the extra keys.  Other than
this, the extra keys do just send AT keyboard scan codes or
combinations of scan codes (for instance, the arrow keys are sensitive
to the state of Num Lock and the shift key, and they will synthesize
shift key scan codes to be sure that they're interpreted as arrow keys).
--
First comes the logo: C H E C K P O I N T  T E C H N O L O G I E S      / /
                                                                    \\ / /