[comp.unix.sysv386] Xaw include files on ISC 2.2

erc@pai.UUCP (Eric Johnson) (09/06/90)

Regarding:

>  From: wiljo@freesid.mamnix.quest.sub.org (Wiljo Heinen)
>  Newsgroups: comp.unix.i386,comp.windows.x
>  Subject: Xaw include files on ISC 2.2 (X11 V1.1)
                  ^^^
                  yeah, right.

>  I'm missing these. They don't seem to be in the distribution, allthoug
>  the lib (libXaw) itself is.

>  This is _very_ annoying, as I cannot compile a lot of the stuff I would like
>  to (xfig for example).

>  Any1 knowing _why_ this is so, _what_ can be done against this and
>  preferably _where_ and _how_ to obtain all Xaw files (I don't
>  have ftp access
>  :-( )

>  grossly annoyed and seeking help

>  	Wiljo
>  snail-mail:	    | e-mail:			  | tel. lines:
                    |                             |
>  Wiljo Heinen        | wiljo@freesid.ruhr.sub.org  | voice:  +49-231-162837
>  Rittershausstr. 55  | wheinen@ipkama.ka.sub.org   | fax:    +49-231-140192

Between X11 Release 3 and Release 4, the Xaw include files moved
from /usr/include/X11 (R3) to /usr/include/X11/Xaw (R4). Could this be
the problem?  If your version of xfig is for R4, for example, and
your X server (from ISC) is at R3, this might be the case. (Note that
X11 Release numbers come from MIT, so your ISC X V1.1 is probably at
MIT X11 Release 3. I haven't seen a 386 UNIX with X11R4 yet.)

I've seen a number of source files that do something like:

#ifdef X11R4
#include  <X11/Xaw/Command.h>
#else
#include  <X11/Command.h>
#endif

Note that YOU have to define X11R4 (or NOT define it as the case
may be) on your cc command line.

So, you may already have these files, but they may not be in the place your
software is looking for.  Check your xfig sources, for example, for
<X11/Xaw/whatever.h> and change that to <X11/whatever.h>.  There are
some other nasties between R3 and R4, but I'm sure you'll find those,
too.

If this isn't the case, well, at least I tried.

Hope this helps,
-Eric

--
Eric F. Johnson               phone: +1 612 894 0313    BTI: Industrial
Boulware Technologies, Inc.   fax:   +1 612 894 0316    automation systems