[comp.unix.sysv386] SCO 3.2.2 df/dfspace problem

walter@mecky.UUCP (Walter Mecky) (08/31/90)

In article <1990Aug29.120821.1409@virtech.uucp> cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
< This is probably due to a corrupted /etc/mount file.  This should be fixed
< when you reboot, but if it is not, go to single user mode, remove the file
< and reboot the system (/etc/mount should be re-created).

Conor, is it possible that you mean /etc/mnttab?  I don't hope that some
thousand guys all around the world removed their /etc/mount command and
wonder, why their system don't run better after this. -:))
--
Walter Mecky	[ walter@mecky.uucp	or  ...uunet!unido!mecky!walter ]

In article <1990Aug29.120821.1409@virtech.uucp>, cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
> This is probably due to a corrupted /etc/mount file.  This should be fixed
> when you reboot, but if it is not, go to single user mode, remove the file
> and reboot the system (/etc/mount should be re-created).

Obviously I got something wrong here.  /etc/mount is the mount program.
/etc/mnttab is the mount table (which is probably corrupted).

Sorry for the mixup.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (08/31/90)

>In article <1417@beaudin.UUCP> john@beaudin.UUCP (John Beaudin) writes:
>>df: cannot statfs Bad	 statfs: No such file or directory
>>df: cannot statfs Using	 statfs: No such file or directory
>>
>>Why the complaint about 'cannot statfs'?

	I first encountered this problem after changing root's default
	shell from Bourne to C shell and subsequently rebooting. More
	seriously, I was no longer able to go into single-user mod. Changing
	back to Bourne didn't correct these problems. SCO said (months ago)
	that it was aware of the problems and they would be corrected in
	the next release.

cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:

>This is probably due to a corrupted /etc/mount file.  This should be fixed
>when you reboot, but if it is not, go to single user mode, remove the file
>and reboot the system (/etc/mount should be re-created).

	This solution was never suggested. I eventually, due to yet
	more serious problems reinstalled the system, leaving root's
	shell as Bourne. So far, so good.

chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) (09/01/90)

In article <1990Aug31.125044.2851@virtech.uucp>
	cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>/etc/mount is the mount program.  /etc/mnttab is the mount table (which
>is probably corrupted).  Sorry for the mixup.

Hey...if we can let Dick Dunn get away with double signature'ing an article,
we can forgive you on this one :-)

--
Chip Rosenthal  <chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM>
Unicom Systems Development, 512-482-8260

gorpong@ping.uucp (Gordon C. Galligher) (09/05/90)

In article <48@raysnec.UUCP> shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) writes:
>>In article <1417@beaudin.UUCP> john@beaudin.UUCP (John Beaudin) writes:
>>>df: cannot statfs Bad	 statfs: No such file or directory
>>>df: cannot statfs Using	 statfs: No such file or directory
>>>
>>>Why the complaint about 'cannot statfs'?
>
>	I first encountered this problem after changing root's default
>	shell from Bourne to C shell and subsequently rebooting. More
>	seriously, I was no longer able to go into single-user mod. Changing
>	back to Bourne didn't correct these problems. SCO said (months ago)
>	that it was aware of the problems and they would be corrected in
>	the next release.

I am currently using the csh as root's shell.  What I have done, however,
is fix the file /etc/bcheckrc, because it is the one putting the bogus
errors into the /etc/mnttab file.  Instead of:
	/bin/su root -c "/etc/devnm /" | grep -v swap | /etc/setmnt
mine now reads:
	/bin/su root -c "/etc/devnm /" | grep -v swap | grep -v Bad |
		grep -v Using | /etc/setmnt

(The above is on ONE line, not multiple lines).  I noticed this problem
long before I changed root's shell to /bin/csh.  You may ask me why
I have chosen three greps instead of a much easier egrep.  A simple
response is egrep exists in /usr/bin while grep exists in /bin.  On
some systems, / and /usr are separate filesystems and attempting to
use egrep at this point would most assuredly fail.

		-- Gordon.
--
Gordon C. Galligher	9127 Potter Rd. #2E	Des. Plaines, Ill.    60016-4881
     telxon!ping%gorpong@uunet.uu.net (not tested)  (Is this even legal??)

warren@pws.bull.com (Warren Lavallee) (09/07/90)

In <1990Sep5.051629.16059@ping.uucp> gorpong@ping.uucp (Gordon C. Galligher) writes:

> [...]

I fixed this by adding to lines at the top of /etc/bcheckrc:

HZ=60
export HZ

after rebooting, the problem went away.

--
Warren J. Lavallee     			       Warren.Lavallee@pws.bull.com
Bull Information Systems Inc.  	 900 Middlesex Tpk #2,  Billerica, MA 01821