[comp.unix.sysv386] ^@ in compose mode

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (09/08/90)

Barton E. Schaefer <schaefer@ogicse.ogi.edu>  writes:
> [ I wrote: ]
> } Is it just my setup, or does mush normally go into an infinite loop
> } when you type a NUL at the builtin mail composition editor?
>
> I don't know if it's just your setup, but mush normally ignores NUL when
> it appears anywhere on standard input, in the mail composition editor or
> anywhere else.

It's nothing to do with mush, Bart.  Sorry to have bothered you.

The tty driver in SCO System V/386 3.2.0, with ISTRIP on will
match a 0x80 from the keyboard with the 0x0 that the suspend character
has been set to (ie. when not in use) and send a SIGTSTP to the process.

Now, can someone tell me whether this is right or wrong ?
What does BSD do in this case, and what does POSIX say ?

My mush binary was compiled under Xenix, which *doesn't* have
SIGTSTP, and I don't have a jobcontrol shell yet, so the process just
stopped where it was. :-)
I didn't notice the 'T' in the ps listing before -- I'm not
used to stopped processes in a System V format ps output :-)
--
my .signature is on holiday