[comp.unix.sysv386] Perstor ARLL controller with Microport SysV/386?

root@grumbly.UUCP (rb duc) (09/07/90)

di@hstbme.mit.edu (David Israel) writes:

>A friend of mine recently bought a Perstor ARLL controller that he
>would like to use with Microport SysV/386 v3.0e.  However, he found
that >he could not get through the install procedure (he has no trouble
>installing with an MFM controller),...
>David Israel (di@hstbme.mit.edu)
===============

Where exactly in the installation did it bomb out? Does the Perstor
ARLL have set-up options (emulations, etc)?

		Richard
--
\\\
 - -   Richard Ducoty                                ..uunet!grumbly!root

toy@ecse.rpi.edu (Ray Toy) (09/08/90)

>A friend of mine recently bought a Perstor ARLL controller that he
>would like to use with Microport SysV/386 v3.0e.  However, he found
>that >he could not get through the install procedure (he has no trouble
>installing with an MFM controller),...
>David Israel (di@hstbme.mit.edu)
>===============

I wanted to add a Perstor controller a couple of years ago and asked
Microport about it.  They said it can't be done because the Perstor
controller wants the drive type to be zero so it can do it's stuff.
Unfortunately, drive type 0 means NO DRIVE to the kernel, so you're
out of luck.

After finding this out I never tried it, so I don't really know if
this is true.  It might be possible to do use the controller, but
maybe not.

Let us know if you can get it to work.

Ray -----> toy@ecse.rpi.edu
Toy