[comp.unix.sysv386] Repeat... how to get out of inverse video mode on mono VGA.

I just switched computers, and the new one has a mono VGA display. When I boot
up UNIX it comes up in paper mode. How do I change the default display
attributes to something easier on my eyes? I've RTFM, and it has been less
than informative.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (09/07/90)

In article <6AQ5OT3@xds13.ferranti.com> peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>I just switched computers, and the new one has a mono VGA display. When I boot
>up UNIX it comes up in paper mode. How do I change the default display
>attributes to something easier on my eyes? I've RTFM, and it has been less
>than informative.

Bad mans.  No say what UNIX brand he use.

Suggest nasty mans check him TERMINFO definition; maybe pick him another
term type.  Maybe diddle one he using to send different SGR string on
startup.  Also suggest bad mans check VGA strapping and CRT dip switches
to maybe make paperwhite go bye-bye.

 --

If none of this works, he could put a video camera in front of his
monitor, digitize the video picture it sees, feed that into a raster

 --

Alternatively he could stare fixedly at the CRT screen for about thirty
seconds, then turn away and gaze at a dark colored wall.  Retinal

 --

Or he could put colored gels on the CRT screen to change the image to,
say, black-on-mauve or black-on-puce or black-on-teal.

 --

Where would we be without the net to offer practical advice?  :-)

--
The genius of you Americans is that you never make   **  Tom Neff
any clear-cut stupid moves, only complicated stupid  **  tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM

In article <15828@bfmny0.BFM.COM> tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:
> Bad mans.  No say what UNIX brand he use.

I did in the original, which seems to have been eaten in the renaming.

Intel System V/386, Compaq 386/20e.

I'm hoping there is a general solution to doing things like changing
screen modes and colors for System V/386.

> Suggest nasty mans check him TERMINFO definition; maybe pick him another
> term type.

It's not the term type. It boots part way in white-on-black, then when it
clears for the first time (to print "Booting the UNIX system") it comes up
in paper mode. There are no straps or switches documented in the manual
that I could find, and it runs white-on-black under (ech) DOS.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`