[comp.unix.sysv386] GNU emacs on Esix Rev D console

grebus@nobozo.enet.dec.com (09/08/90)

Has anyone else seen a problem with GNU EMACS 18.55 running on the ESIX
console?  It appears
that terminfo or the AT386-M terminal description is broken.   Symptoms
are the mode line
is preceeded by a couple garbage characters instead of being in reverse
video.    Also,  going
from two windows fails to erase the old mode line and leaves a stray "S"
on the screen.

BTW, things seem to work fine if I set TERM to vt100, but that breaks
other things.

	/gary
	grebus@nobozo.enet.dec.com

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) (09/11/90)

In article <15217@shlump.nac.dec.com> grebus@nobozo.enet.dec.com () writes:
>Has anyone else seen a problem with GNU EMACS 18.55 running on the ESIX
>console?  It appears
>that terminfo or the AT386-M terminal description is broken.   Symptoms
>are the mode line
>is preceeded by a couple garbage characters instead of being in reverse
>video.    Also,  going
>from two windows fails to erase the old mode line and leaves a stray "S"
>on the screen.

	The termcap for AT386 includes the 'xt' capability.  This
is supposed to mean that tabs are destructive (which for the console they
are), but GNU-Emacs also interprets it to mean that the terminal is a
specific one (Teleray something-or-other) with other quirks and oddities,
and changes some of it's behavoir, which includes using the wrong
'standout' string.  I made my own changes to Emacs to correct this but I
don't have them handy. You can look in term.c for references to Teleray;
I just #if 0'ed them out.  Of course, then it probably won't work right
with Teleray terminals...
--
First comes the logo: C H E C K P O I N T  T E C H N O L O G I E S      / /
                                                                    \\ / /