[comp.unix.sysv386] Interactive Port of lpr/lpd

kevin@litle.litle.com (kevin p burke) (09/11/90)

does anyone have lpr/lpd ported to Interactive?
I've got to use network printers in a mixed (bsd/sysV) network.

thanx
-k
--
Kevin P. Burke, Corporate Mystic, Litle & Co. | POB C26, Hanover, NH 03755-6000
  "Just Do It."                               | +1 603 643 1832/5558

dlr@daver.bungi.com (Dave Rand) (09/11/90)

In article <510@litle.litle.com> kevin@litle.litle.com (kevin p burke) writes:
>does anyone have lpr/lpd ported to Interactive?
>I've got to use network printers in a mixed (bsd/sysV) network.

Yes. Mail me if you would like a copy. Here is the readme:

Mon May 21 12:49:15 PDT 1990

While 386/ix (tm Interactive) has a number of network services from BSD,
lpr is not one of them. This does not cause a real problem, as the
shell scripts of lp can be used to perform remote printing. It is
not a very good solution when interacting with other Sun or BSD
systems.

Jonathan C. Broome <wilbur!jon> did the original port to 386/ix from the
freed lpr sources. I added a few modifications, and re-did the context
diffs from the tar file on uunet (~ftp/bsd-sources/src/network/lpr.tar.Z)

No guarantee that this will work for you, but it works for me.

To use:

Unpack the shell archive, then apply the two patch files lpr.diff.1
and lpr.diff.2 with patch. The unaltered source files from the lpr
tar file must be used. The C files included must be in the lpr
directory.

--
Dave Rand
{pyramid|mips|bct|vsi1}!daver!dlr	Internet: dlr@daver.bungi.com

wnp@iiasa.AT (wolf paul) (09/11/90)

In article <510@litle.litle.com> kevin@litle.litle.com (kevin p burke) writes:
>does anyone have lpr/lpd ported to Interactive?
>I've got to use network printers in a mixed (bsd/sysV) network.

I don't have lpr/lpd ported (I'd want it, if someone does have it,
even diffs to some specified BSD distribution would do!), but I have a
way to make printers on the BSD side of the network available to
386/IX machines. It requires that user ids are equivalent across the
network, but could probably be modified to use an id like "nobody".

Here's how to do it:

1. For each network printer, create a device with the same specs as
   /dev/null, but with the name /dev/printername. I.e., our laser
   printers are named h0, h1, etc., and I have devices created like
   this:

	mknod /dev/h0 c 2 2
	mknod /dev/h1 c 2 2
2. Then go into the sysadm menu, select package mgmt, lp mgmt, add
   printer.

   Specify "dumb" as the type, regardless of what type of printer it
   is, we'll let BSD lpr handle the filtering etc.
   Specify the appropriate /dev/null equivalent as the device. This
   will work, even though /dev/null, or the printer-specific equivs
   are not listed.

   Give your printer an appropriate name (instead of dumb1, dumb2,
   etc.).

3. Finally, cd into /usr/spool/lp/admins/lp/interfaces, and modify
   each of the scripts there to do something like:

	#ident	"@(#)tcpremote	2.4 - 88/07/21"
	# lp interface for remote printer on a BSD-like system
	#

	PRINTHOST=cossun	# modify to suit local setup
	THISHOST=`/usr/ucb/hostname`
	LPRDEST=`basename $0`
	REQUEST=$1
	OWNER=$2
	TITLE="$3"
	if [ ! -z "$TITLE" ] ; then TITLE="-T$TITLE" ; fi
	COPIES=$4
	OPTIONS=$5
	shift; shift; shift; shift; shift
	FILES="$*"
	export LPRDEST REQUEST OWNER TITLE COPIES OPTIONS FILES
	(count=1
	while [ $count -le $COPIES ]
	do
		for file in $FILES
		do
			cat "$file" 2>&1
		done
		count=`expr $count + 1`
	done
	exit 0
	) | /usr/ucb/rsh $PRINTHOST lpr -P$LPRDEST -C$THISHOST -J$REQUEST

And off you go.
--
Wolf N. Paul, IIASA, A - 2361 Laxenburg, Austria, Europe
PHONE: +43-2236-71521-465     FAX: +43-2236-71313      UUCP: uunet!iiasa.at!wnp

In article <510@litle.litle.com> kevin@litle.litle.com (kevin p burke) writes:
>does anyone have lpr/lpd ported to Interactive?
>I've got to use network printers in a mixed (bsd/sysV) network.

Jonathan C Broome put together (and then Dave Rand made several additions to)
patches to the freed BSD lpr code which enable it to run under 386/ix.  If
you want them, email me & I will send them to you.  If there is enough
intereste I will post them.

You should note that I have not tried or tested these patches, so your
mileage may vary.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170