[comp.unix.sysv386] uudecode on ISC 386/ix 1.0.6

gary@sci34hub.UUCP (Gary Heston) (09/11/90)

Has anyone out there had problems with, or figured out how to use,
uudecode under 386/ix 1.0.6? Having finally had occasion to use it
after getting a uuencoded file from a mail server, I get core dumps
when I run it. The command line "uudecode novell.exe.uu" seems to
be the right way to call it, but all it does is create an empty file
"novell.exe" and then "memory fault--core dumped".

I pulled uudecode.c from uunet, but it needs something called index()
which isn't defined in a SysV environment. I'm working on getting
nuudecode.Z down, to see if I can compile it, but I'm also open to
any suggestions or advice that's available. What comes with the
system should work, somehow (...and I have a good deal on a bridge,
too.... :-) )

--
    Gary Heston     { uunet!sci34hub!gary  }    System Mismanager
   SCI Technology, Inc.  OEM Products Department  (i.e., computers)

In article <755@sci34hub.UUCP> gary@sci34hub.sci.com (Gary Heston) writes:
>I pulled uudecode.c from uunet, but it needs something called index()
>which isn't defined in a SysV environment. I'm working on getting

index() is the BSD equivalent to strchr(), so you should be able to

#define index(a,b) strchr(a,b)

and compile the code without any problems.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170